UFORE and/or STRATUM? Questions on data...

Post here questions, comments, and suggestions about the general i-Tree project. To avoid duplication, please be sure to check the i-Tree website and the FAQs before posting. Relevant topics include background, purpose, requirements, hardware, installation, training and events.

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

amary

UFORE and/or STRATUM? Questions on data...

Post by amary »

I am requesting help from anyone on getting more information on the difference between the UFORE and STRATUM applications. Specifically, what would the value added be for using both programs in the same area (i.e.- a watershed)?

I am a graduate student at Johns Hopkins University and I was going to use the STRATUM application for watershed in Baltimore, MD; another organization already has data from a UFORE survey. Can the data that was collected using UFORE be applied to the STRATUM software or would I have to go into the field and capture all new data? Can I just run the data through the STRATUm software?

I am trying to decide what to do, collect all new dats just for my STRATUM project, use data already collected and put it into STRATUM or use the old data and collect new data and compare the two (though this would be like comparing apples to oranges unless STRATUm was used for both)

Any help you can provide to steer me in the right direction would be much appreciated.
smaco
i-Tree Team

Post by smaco »

STRATUM's use is limited to street (right-of-way) trees. Using data from park trees, backyards, woodlands, etc in STRATUM will not produce accurate results. Therefore, as a general rule, if your interest is limited to only street trees, use STRATUM. If your study area includes other (non-street) trees, use UFORE.
a member of the i-Tree Team
amary

further question

Post by amary »

If the UFORE data previously collected was only collected on street trees would the data be transferable?
smaco
i-Tree Team

Post by smaco »

Yes, you could easily reformat the data and run it through STRATUM. I imagine you could do this in a single afternoon.
a member of the i-Tree Team