Updating Database info for use by MCTI and Stratum

Post here questions, comments, and suggestions about the general i-Tree project. To avoid duplication, please be sure to check the i-Tree website and the FAQs before posting. Relevant topics include background, purpose, requirements, hardware, installation, training and events.

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

EPParks

Updating Database info for use by MCTI and Stratum

Post by EPParks »

We have recently completed our street tree inventory using the itools suite and stratum/mcti pda utility. We missed some trees, misidentified species, etc. and are going back to make the corrections to the data in MCTI. I have just noticed that that changes occurring in MCTI are not changing in the Grand Database. We are about to start using Stratum and I see it looks at the Grand Database. As we continue on planting and removing trees those changes will be occurring in MCTI. However, if I want to run Stratum in a few years to compare changes it will still be looking at the old original data. Is there a way to update both databases at the same time (Access update query between the two db’s for instance)? I see that even the itree database has the inventory in it that also is not updated.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
smaco
i-Tree Team

Post by smaco »

Hi EPParks,
Unfortunately, at this time, both MCTI and STRATUM are one-way streets when it comes to updating data. That is, data goes from the PDA Utility to the i-Tree Grand Database to MCTI or STRATUM, but not in reverse order. Consequently, as you update your MCTI inventory, you’ll no longer have a matching i-Tree Grand Database to import into STRATUM and will have to treat your MCTI data as an existing inventory.

Detailed information on formatting existing inventories for STRATUM can be found in Section 2.3 and Appendix D of the i-Tree User’s Manual. The MCTI data that you’ll be reformatting is found, by default, at the following location: C:\Program Files\i-Tree\MCTI_Desktop_iTree\MCTI.mdb.

For users handy with Microsoft Access or Excel, the process of reformatting data for STRATUM import will take less than an hour. For others, it may take two to three hour’s time.

I hope this helps. --Scott
a member of the i-Tree Team