Species not listed in the 'plants.usda.gov' website

Post here questions, comments, and suggestions about the general i-Tree project. To avoid duplication, please be sure to check the i-Tree website and the FAQs before posting. Relevant topics include background, purpose, requirements, hardware, installation, training and events.

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

melimel

Species not listed in the 'plants.usda.gov' website

Post by melimel »

What if there is a species in the field that is not listed in the 'plants.usda.gov' website with a code. What code do we use?

For example: Loropetalum chinense

Thanks!
Heythatsmybike
i-Tree Team

Post by Heythatsmybike »

Hi Melimel,

The plants database is similar to the species codes that we use, but the codes can differ. We have our own species codes. The list is included on the iTree installation disc.

How will you be collecting the data? It will make a slight difference in how to enter species that are not on our species list.
a member of the i-Tree Team
melimel

Post by melimel »

I apologize for taking a while to respond. We are collecting our data with the paper version of UFORE. We have been getting some of our species codes from the USDA.Plants.org website b/c we thought this was consistant with yours. Again, anything we pulled from that website were for species not listed in the UFORE species list.

For the model, we will be sending the data electronically via an Excel spreadsheet that has already been modified for the models use. We received this spreadsheet from Fransicso Escobedo.

Thanks.
tiana

Post by tiana »

Hi, I'm from Brazil and here we have others species. How to use that? What we can put in the inventory. The most species here belongs to the rain forest and I only saw species from USA. Thanks, Tiana. :!:
StormyJerry

Post by StormyJerry »

Thanks for posting this interesting and important question. For now, unfortunately, the current list provides the only species and codes that can be used to calculate urban forest benefits with this program.

UFORE was developed in the United States with US taxpayer money, and thus was limited to species found in US urban centers. Also, behind each species appearing on the UFORE list lies a substantial amount of research into species-specific factors such as phenology, leaf area index, etc. These factors are used in the calculations to produce results as detailed in this document.

You could try to match your species with similar ones on that list, but the results would probably not carry the same accuracy because of the uncertainty of the match being made. If you are thinking of doing this, I would suggest you contact (using the PM button) other users on this forum who have carried out UFORE projects outside the United States.

Hope this helps.
replicahours

Hi...

Post by replicahours »

Hi, I'm from Brazil to, where the most species here belongs to the rain forest .
I don't find similar species for all need.
Thanks..