i-Tree 2018 prevents installation of Microsoft Office 2016 32-bit

Post here questions, comments, and suggestions about the general i-Tree project. To avoid duplication, please be sure to check the i-Tree website and the FAQs before posting. Relevant topics include background, purpose, requirements, hardware, installation, training and events.

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

belltell

i-Tree 2018 prevents installation of Microsoft Office 2016 32-bit

Post by belltell » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:34 am

I had i-Tree 2018 installed and then went to install Microsoft Office 2016 32-bit version. The Office installation failed with the message:

"We can't install the 32-bit version of Office because we found the following 64-bit programs on your PC:
Microsoft Access database engine 2010 (English)
Please uninstall all 64-bit Office programs, then retry installing 32-bit Office."

Looks like the database engine was installed by i-Tree 2018. I had to uninstall the engine in order to install Office. I assume i-Tree won't work without the 64 bit engine? Is there any way around this? I have to use 32 bit Office due to certain plugins.

Thanks.
Jason.Henning
i-Tree Team

Re: i-Tree 2018 prevents installation of Microsoft Office 2016 32-bit

Post by Jason.Henning » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:59 pm

i-Tree should work with the 32-bit version of the database engine. There have been some issues with the default database engine that is installed with enterprise versions of windows. Once you have installed your 32-bit software try opening i-Tree Eco and creating a test project. If the software crashes this is likely due to the database engine. To overcome this issue you can follow these steps:

Update your database engine.
1. Uninstall Access 2010 driver (if installed).
  • a. Open the Control Panel
    b. Open the Programs and Features
    c. Select the Microsoft Access database engine 2010
    d. Click Uninstall
    e. Complete the uninstall process.
2. Install the Microsoft Access 2010 database engine I also ran this by one of the members of our development team and he indicated that the i-Tree Installer only installs the 32-bit version of the database engine. Perhaps that database engine got updated through an automated Windows update or some other software update. At any rate the above steps should work if you experience i-Tree Eco crashes after updating your software.

Thanks,
Jason
A member of the i-Tree Team