input for energy benefits

Post here questions, comments, and suggestions about the general i-Tree project. To avoid duplication, please be sure to check the i-Tree website and the FAQs before posting. Relevant topics include background, purpose, requirements, hardware, installation, training and events.

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

pete.stewart

input for energy benefits

Post by pete.stewart » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:48 pm

Hi, I keep getting the same error message when trying to submit a data set with distance and direction data :

"FATAL ERRORS
Invalid tree direction(must between 0 to 360) or distance (must greater than 0 and not exceed 60 feet) to the building. Trees with the following IDs have invalid direction or distance data:" (all trees w >60 distance listed)

Most of the trees in my data set are too far from buildings to count, and at first I tried leaving them in the table to let the model filter them out. I've also tried submitting the data with blank fields for trees beyond 60 feet, or with a zero value. I get the same error regardless. Tree directions are in integer form, between 0 and 360.

What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks very much,

Pete
Jason.Henning
i-Tree Team

Re: input for energy benefits

Post by Jason.Henning » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:16 am

Hi Pete,
I can't recreate that exact error on my end. Could you create a packed project from the "File" menu in Eco, then send the .zip file that is created to our support email, info@itreetools.org? Also, let me know a few more details:
1. Is this something that happens when you are trying to submit from within the Eco application on your PC, or when you are trying to submit from a mobile device?
2. How have you been entering data: import, mobile device, or directly within the Eco application on your PC?
3. What version of i-Tree Eco are you using? You can check by selecting "About" on the "Support" tab in Eco.

When I tried to test this workflow by entering numbers directly in Eco it prevents me from ever entering any values that were greater than 60 for distance, and it required me to enter a direction if I had a distance. Similarly, if I deleted the distance it would also remove the direction and leave those two cells blank. Then I wouldn't get any errors when I tried to submit for processing.

Looking forward to getting your project and details so we can get this straightened out.
Thanks,
Jason
A member of the i-Tree Team
pete.stewart

Post by pete.stewart » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:54 am

Thanks Jason, I think I've figured out the problem. Your response was helpful because I hadn't been able to find any confirmation on how Eco reads in the energy effects data.

What had caused the repeated error I think was the fact I had tried to re-import a corrected excel table in the same project. Eco didn't seem to save the changes, and kept giving me the error message based on the original, uncorrected table. I started a new project with the corrected data and everything ran smoothly.

But that brings up a separate question that probably has an obvious answer -- what is the correct way to run new tables through the same project configuration? i.e. so I don't have to re-enter all the settings (location, condition, strata) each time the data set is changed?

Thanks very much
Jason.Henning
i-Tree Team

Post by Jason.Henning » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:32 am

Hi Pete,
Glad you got it straightened out.
If I understand what you are trying do, I would probably just create an empty template project with the correct set-up but no data. Then each time you want to create a new project you would open the template project, do a "save a copy" from Eco file menu, rename the copy then open it, and finally import your data. The "save a copy" functionality creates a couple more steps than the "save as" that you get in many software applications. However, Eco is directly editing underlying databases and saving with each change so that no information is lost. This makes it challenging to do a "save as" function since that would create two open databases. Hopefully, the steps above make some sense and will get you where you need to go.
Thanks,
Jason
A member of the i-Tree Team
pete.stewart

Post by pete.stewart » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:34 pm

That makes sense -- that's a huge help and will be a big timesaver. Thanks very much

Pete