Processing a subset of plots

Post here questions, comments, and suggestions about the general i-Tree project. To avoid duplication, please be sure to check the i-Tree website and the FAQs before posting. Relevant topics include background, purpose, requirements, hardware, installation, training and events.

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

dafoxfl

Processing a subset of plots

Post by dafoxfl » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:25 pm

We have collected data for almost 170 ECO plots. We would like to process a subset of those plots. How can this be done?

I'm guessing that the first step would be to create a new project with a new AOI and plot shapefiles. Then what? Is there some way to select certain plots to export?

Thanks,
Dave
Jason.Henning
i-Tree Team

Re: Processing a subset of plots

Post by Jason.Henning » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:38 am

Hi Dave,
There are a few different approaches to this and picking one will likely depend on the goals for your project. No matter which one you choose it is worth making a backup copy of your project so that you don't accidentally corrupt your original data.
1. Create a copy of the project and delete the plots you are not interested. This can be accomplished pretty easily in i-Tree Eco v6. You would need to go to the "Data" tab and ensure that "Editing Mode" is set to "On." Then just click on the row corresponding to a plot you want to delete and press the delete key.
2. You could mark the plots you are not interested in processing now as incomplete. To do this, you again go to the "Data" tab and turn on the editing mode. Then scroll to the far right of the "Plots" table and uncheck the boxes in the "Complete?" column for those plots you want to ignore. If you actually have some plots that are not yet completed this may confuse matters if you plan to continue using this project for ongoing data entry. Any plots that don't have the "Complete?" box checked will be ignored for processing.
3. You could post-stratify and put all of the plots you are interested in into one stratum. This document gives a brief overview of the post stratification process, http://www.itreetools.org/resources/man ... amples.pdf. If you choose this method many of the results are summarized by strata but all of your plots would be processed so you could see how your plots of interest compare with other strata and contribute to the larger urban forest.

Let me know if I can help clarify any of these options or if you have any additional questions.

Thanks,
Jason
A member of the i-Tree Team