Best way to import Streets data into Eco 6?

Post here questions, comments, and suggestions about the general i-Tree project. To avoid duplication, please be sure to check the i-Tree website and the FAQs before posting. Relevant topics include background, purpose, requirements, hardware, installation, training and events.

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

wgrunberg

Best way to import Streets data into Eco 6?

Post by wgrunberg » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:15 pm

Are there best practices or a workflow for importing i-Tree Streets projects into i-Tree Eco v6?
I have about 2 dozen projects with multiple inventory sites each.
Jason.Henning
i-Tree Team

Re: Best way to import Streets data into Eco 6?

Post by Jason.Henning » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:03 am

i-Tree Eco v6 is still new enough that we don't have specific methods for converting an i-Tree Streets project into an i-Tree Eco project. In the future we do expect that there will be a specific methodology or even a tool within i-Tree Eco to support the direct project conversion.

That being said here are few key considerations:
1. At this time it is only possible to import complete inventories into i-Tree Eco so street segment sample based projects can not be imported into Eco v6.
2. You will need to export your data from i-Tree Streets.
a. In this case the best way to do that would be to open your data in Streets by going to the "Input" menu and selecting "Records". Click somewhere in the data table and press "ctrl+a" to select all, then "ctrl+c" to copy all that data. Open a spreadsheet application like MS Excel and click on a cell. Then press "ctrl+v" to past your data into the spreadsheet. Save the spreadsheet either as a .csv or a .xls fily type.
b. Alternatively, you could export your data from the file menu but that will output your fields as numeric codes which may not be as useful as having the actual field values.
c. You will likely have to do a bit of data massaging during import because not all Streets species codes match-up with Eco codes (it may be better to export the scientific or common names and not the codes), the generic species codes in Streets (e.g. broad leaf deciduous small, BDS) are not present in Eco, and codes for things like available planting spaces or custom species will need to be reassigned during import.
3. If you have a project set-up with zones in i-Tree Streets you can use these in i-Tree Eco.
a. Be sure to check the Strata/Area box in the "Data Collection Options" dialog during "Project Definition".
b. Set up your zones by clicking on "Project & Strata Area" button in the "Project Configuration" tab.
4. Pay close attention to the "Highly Recommended" fields during data collection. The more of these fields you are able to complete using your Streets data the more accurate your Eco results will be.
5. Check the "Help" panel in the "Data Collections Options" page for details about what inputs influence which results and to ensure that you are providing data the will give you the results you are interested in.
6. We have a video here that walks through the general import process for i-Tree Eco v6, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3riZhE ... hW-SL4QHry.

Lastly, it is important to note that i-Tree Eco and i-Tree Streets are very different models and will provide different results. It can be useful to do a small test project conversion to ensure that i-Tree Eco is providing the details and results that will meet you project needs.

If you create a set of protocols for importing i-Tree Streets data into i-Tree Eco v6 we would be happy to provide feedback on your methods. We could even share something along those lines with other users if it would help them perform similar tasks.

Thanks,
Jason
A member of the i-Tree Team
wgrunberg

Re: Best way to import Streets data into Eco 6?

Post by wgrunberg » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:56 pm

Thank you Jason!

I will share anything interesting I may come up with.

FYI: I am dealing with complete inventories of public spaces across AZ's incorporated municipalities. Our AZUTM inventory protocol and analysis service currently only requires:
  • species code (PLANTS DB and Streets)
  • DBH
  • % living canopy (at 25% steps - good, bad, poor, dead or dying)
  • presence or absence of insects
  • presence or absence of diseases
  • STRATUM/Streets climate zone (tricky for some communities)
  • inventory date
  • inventory location name
  • unique tree ID

I am especially curious about incorporating our canopy health data and am looking forward to the improved models.
Ciao, Wolfgang