Comparing two years

Post here questions, comments, and suggestions about the general i-Tree project. To avoid duplication, please be sure to check the i-Tree website and the FAQs before posting. Relevant topics include background, purpose, requirements, hardware, installation, training and events.

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

armando60

Comparing two years

Post by armando60 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:21 am

Il post al Forum iTree

Hi,

I would greatly appreciate to have some advice on the following issue:

I would like to submit the data of our project (total cover inventory of the city of Milan, Italy, approx 200000 trees) to have an estimate of the air pollution removal.

Milan is located in a sort of washbowl with frequent thermal inversions during the cold season. Due to its particular climatic condition air quality is poor but it varies significantly from year to year. For example PM10 yearly average was 30 micrograms/m3 in 2014, 40 in 2015; 53 days with >50 microgr/m3 (legal threshold) in 2014 and 91 days in 2015).
Similarly NO2 and ozone (the latter in summer) may show very different levels in different years.

For this reason I would like to sumbit two datasets for weather and air quality to the iTree team in order to have estimates for "good" and "bad" years.
I would like to know your opinion on this and to know if this will affect the turnaround time of results.

Thanks a lot for your attention

Armando
Jason.Henning
i-Tree Team

Re: Comparing two years

Post by Jason.Henning » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:13 am

Hello Armando,
Your proposed analysis is definitely possible for an international project and we have completed similar projects for other international users. This additional analysis shouldn't significantly impact the normal processing time of 1-6 months for international projects outside of the US, Canada, Australia, and the UK. Those processing times are generally most impacted by the number of projects in the queue, the availability of US Forest Service personnel to complete the processing, and the completeness and accuracy of the data you provide. Once the Forest Service begins processing of your data it is relatively simple to swap out one set of air pollution data for another.

I will make one recommendation. In order for you to be able to compare your results it may make the most sense to create two copies of your project on your computer. Then submit each project (good year and bad year) separately and provide your different pollution data sets to us by email info@itreetools.org. That way once your data is processed you will be able to retrieve each set of results into its own project. Then you can make your comparisons between the two projects.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or contact us by email at info@itreetools.org.

Thanks,
Jason
A member of the i-Tree Team
armando60

Re: Comparing two years

Post by armando60 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:11 am

Thank you, Jason, helpful advice!

Armando