ECO - measuring azimuth for complete sampling

Post here questions, comments, and suggestions about the general i-Tree project. To avoid duplication, please be sure to check the i-Tree website and the FAQs before posting. Relevant topics include background, purpose, requirements, hardware, installation, training and events.

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

greenspaceintern

ECO - measuring azimuth for complete sampling

Post by greenspaceintern » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:48 am

Hello again, I have another question. :D

I am slightly confused on how to measure azimuth. I've determined north on a map and I've aligned a protractor with this direction. I'm confused about the next step. I can determine the degrees from north the main stem of a tree is but how am I supposed to determine the degree from the tree to the nearest building? Do I find the degrees from north for the tree and the building and then find the difference between these two numbers?

I'm uncertain about this because with Rich it was mentioned that azimuth is a horizontal line from tree to nearest building. So what do you do when N/S is a diagonal and the nearest distance between a tree and a building is a vertical line?
azelaya
i-Tree Team

Re: ECO - measuring azimuth for complete sampling

Post by azelaya » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:56 pm

Hello,

I'm not sure I would advise using a protractor for this Eco measurement. I would suggest using a compass such as the one in this link http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/produ ... mnum=37064 that will allow you to determine 0-360 degree azimuth from tree to building.

The azimuth is a straight reading from the compass after lining up the red housing with the red magnetic needle pointing north. However, it is not the difference from north to the building. A diagram may help with understanding this measurement. Here is a link to diagram that I posted which may help clarify this measurement using a compass https://plus.google.com/106845122735102 ... Fge9tFjXYE ,

After viewing the diagram, you may be able to now see if the closest point or surface of the building is straight north, the azimuth reading would be 360. Eco only accepts 1 -360 for direction. So, zero would not work in the application.

Let me know if this makes sense and if you have problems viewing the diagram.
A member of the i-Tree Team
greenspaceintern

Re: ECO - measuring azimuth for complete sampling

Post by greenspaceintern » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:02 am

That does help! I've been using the wrong tool for the job.

Thank you so much!