Condition of plantings default

This FAQ forum refers to issues related to the i-Tree Planting calculator also called the GHG planting calculator

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

Melanie McDermott

Condition of plantings default

Post by Melanie McDermott »

I'm surprised about that there is a condition parameter for planting projects. (Who plants a dying tree ?) We will be acquiring seedlings from nursery stock, and would certainly aim for 'excellent.' However, since we are at the planning phase, we don't know. Would you recommend selecting 'good' as default? (One more question coming up -- thank you!)
Jason.Henning
i-Tree Team

Re: Condition of plantings default

Post by Jason.Henning »

Hi Melanie,
Despite its name i-Tree Planting can be used to evaluate existing trees as well. Since you can input tree diameters it is straightforward to incorporate trees already on the landscape which may have a variety of conditions. Additionally, including condition allows user to evaluate different maintenance and planting stock scenarios. For example if you think watering for the first 2 years may improve condition you can evaluate that by running two i-Tree Planting scenarios with different tree conditions. If you have a choice between many small container stock trees with a higher likely of poor condition trees versus fewer balled and burlap trees that would be more likely to maintain a better condition you could also evaluate those scenarios.
As far as which condition you select, it can be helpful to understand that the condition will impact the rate that the trees grow and die over the length of your i-Tree Planting projection. You should select a condition that you expect to be typical over that time period. Within the i-Tree models a condition of excellent represents 0% dieback, good 10%, fair 25%, poor 50%, critical 75%, dying 95%, and dead 100%. If you are going to be caring for those trees over the length of the project then an average condition of 'good' is likely the best choice.
Thanks,
Jason
A member of the i-Tree Team