Discrepancy between i-Tree Planting and i-Tree Eco

This FAQ forum refers to issues related to the i-Tree Planting calculator also called the GHG planting calculator

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

WillNeds

Discrepancy between i-Tree Planting and i-Tree Eco

Post by WillNeds » Wed May 11, 2022 2:54 pm

Hello,

I ran a basic forecast in i-Tree Eco using the default annual mortality rate of 3% for 1900 1" DBH plantings with 100% condition crown. The report stated over 99 years, the total carbon sequestered was 468 Mtons, which converts to approximately 1715 M tons of CO2e. I then compared the results to i-Tree Planting using the same parameters (tree species, populations, DBH, location, forecast duration, etc). There are two parameters that had to be modified: First is mortality because i-Tree Planting assesses mortality as a percentage of the initial population of plantings. I ran a calculation and concluded a 3% annual tree mortality over 99 years would result in 95% of the initial 1900 trees dying, which became my value for the mortality %. Does this sound correct? The second is sun exposure. Initially, I ran the analysis assuming partial exposure and the report stated 6,570 Mtons of CO2e was sequestered. Assuming full shade produced 1,944 Mtons of CO2e sequestered. This discrepancy seems reasonable, but I'm still wondering what might be different between the two models and which one would you recommend using? Also, this suggests i-Tree Eco assumes new plantings are in full shade across their lifetime?

Really appreciate the tools and the commitment to constantly developing them!

Cheers,
Jason.Henning
i-Tree Team

Re: Discrepancy between i-Tree Planting and i-Tree Eco

Post by Jason.Henning » Thu May 12, 2022 3:33 pm

Thanks for the question.
Would you mind sending us both your Planting and Eco projects so we can take a closer look? You can send them to info@itreetools.org. You may have to create a packed Eco project so that it isn't too large to email. You can create a packed project from the file menu in Eco.
Thanks,
Jason
A member of the i-Tree Team