Tool for Environmental benefits calculation - ITALY

Frequently asked questions about MyTree and other issues and notifications.

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

MattiaAmb

Tool for Environmental benefits calculation - ITALY

Post by MattiaAmb » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:02 am

I'm searching about a tool for te calculation of long-term environmental benefits from a new tree planting project in Italy.
I'm particularly interested in calculation of PM2.5 removal on a 40 years lifetime period, starting from little trees with DBH of 1 to 3 cm.

I've tried to use i-Tree Planting but I've noticed that the calculator is only for users located in USA. If there aren't tools that can be used in Italy fot this purpose, can you tell me what kind of annual indexes (PM2.5 removed, expressed in kg/year for each type of tree) have been used by the calculator, or where I can found them?
My project includes these species: Acer campestre, Carpinus Betulus, Quercus Robur, Cornus Mas, Corylus Avellana, Euonymus Europaeus, Ligustrum vulgare, Prunus Spinosa, Rhamnus Cathartica, Viburnum lantana.

Thanks for your work and support!
Jason.Henning
i-Tree Team

Re: Tool for Environmental benefits calculation - ITALY

Post by Jason.Henning » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:51 am

Thanks for the question.
I think i-Tree Eco may meet your needs. There is a Forecast module within i-Tree Eco that would allow you to project the benefits (including PM2.5 removal). i-Tree Eco will work for your location. However, i-Tree Eco is more involved tool and will take some time to learn. We have a number of videos (https://www.itreetools.org/support/reso ... o-learning) and guides (https://www.itreetools.org/support/reso ... -workbooks) to help you get started.
Thanks,
Jason
A member of the i-Tree Team
MattiaAmb

Post by MattiaAmb » Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:44 am

Thank you Jason,
I could use i-Tree Eco for my project but does this tool take into account growth of plants over the years? Or is it consider a constant size for each tree?
Jason.Henning
i-Tree Team

Post by Jason.Henning » Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:54 pm

You would have to use the "Forecast" module within i-Tree Eco to project the growth of your inventory of trees over time. The "Forecast" option, at the top of the i-Tree Eco application, will become available once you submit data for processing and retrieve your results. The "Forecast" module will allow you to set a projection length of 40 years and enter your expected mortality rate over that period. For more about how to use the Forecast module please see this guide, http://www.itreetools.org/resources/man ... recast.pdf.
One of the limitations of i-Tree Forecast is that it doesn't provide information about individual trees but instead provides the results for your entire inventory combined. If you want results for an individual tree or species in your planting you may want to create a project with 100 of those trees, so that the mortality functions correctly, then you can divide the projection results by the number of trees to come up with an individual tree level result.
Thanks,
Jason
A member of the i-Tree Team