Map Export?

FAQs and information on the i-Tree Landscape online application

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

PaulCowie

Map Export?

Post by PaulCowie » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:05 am

Apologies if I am just missing something, but is there (or are there plans for) a way to export maps built in Landscape, ideally with the geometries or even just image layers? The use case would be to apply further styling and/or paste into reports.

Or, is the intent limited to on-screen viewing and screen-shotting?

Thanks!
KristaH

Re: Map Export?

Post by KristaH » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:44 pm

Hi Paul - Landscape currently allows for the export of individual maps inside of the Generate Report features. What this means is that you can report out individual maps that visualize particular data points (carbon storage, amounts of canopy present, demographics, etc.) for the geographies you've chosen; what the report maps can not currently do is display some of the background data layers, such as land surface temperature, or the locations of EPA Brownfields. Keep in mind that the map will appear as a component of the final report generated, which can be shared via URL or saved as a pdf using your print function. Often the best way to capture an individual map is to grab a screen shot and save it to your preferred image type, particularly if you're goal is to customize the styling. We are definitely considering improved ways of doing this, and there are some data capacity limitations, but it's always helpful to have users reinforcing that it would be a useful component.

KristaH
PaulCowie

Post by PaulCowie » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:19 pm

Thank you for your reply, Krista.

I found where i can select map output in the Generate Results section - it is only enabled if I select Field Type = Individual.

So, I went ahead and tried it by:
1) Selecting my area of interest and adding a tree canopy layer using Find Locations and Explore Location Data;
2) Under Generate Results, configuring map output for Canopy, Plantable Space, Poverty Percent, and Carbon Storage (since your reply said that one should work);
3) Clicking Build Report!

The result is 4 maps that are identical to my step 1 map with the exception of a legend that has no relation to anything on the map. You can see them here: https://landscape.itreetools.org/report ... e-summary/

What am I missing? Or, is that what I should expect?
KristaH

Post by KristaH » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:51 am

Hi Paul - thanks for sending the link, that makes it easier for me to see what you're working with.
1. You are right that the Maps are generated in the Reports only for Individual data selections.
2. If I am seeing things right, you are trying to display a map only for the city of Trenton; in order for a thematic map of something like carbon storage to display in terms of value ranges, you need to be looking at more than one geography (for compare and contrast). So, you would want to also select nearby municipalities, or Census block groups within Trenton, etc., in order to see the distribution of demographics or benefits.

Let me know if that helps -
KristaH
PaulCowie

Post by PaulCowie » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:50 pm

Ah, OK. With your tip, I made progress.

The requirement for multiple geometries for planting prioritization is clear and makes sense, but i don't see that in the docs for other analyses/maps. I guess my expectation of what I could get from the maps was off and led me astray.

Thanks for your help!!