upload a geojson or shapefile to landscape tool?

FAQs and information on the i-Tree Landscape online application

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

alibama

upload a geojson or shapefile to landscape tool?

Post by alibama » Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:30 pm

can i upload a shapefile to the landscape tool to process a specific region? or any polygon boundary file? thanks
azelaya
i-Tree Team

Re: upload a geojson or shapefile to landscape tool?

Post by azelaya » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:25 pm

Unfortunately, It is not possible to upload your own shapefile or custom boundary of an area for analysis in i-Tree Landscape. The Landscape application is currently limited at this time to using the defined boundaries available within the application.
A member of the i-Tree Team
alibama

Post by alibama » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:45 pm

thanks for the feedback... what about exporting the report data in shapefile or geojson format?

nvm viewtopic.php?f=48&t=5500
azelaya
i-Tree Team

Post by azelaya » Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:08 pm

It is not possible to export Landscape outputs or images in shapefiles or GeoJSON format for external use. i-Tree Landscape is not really an online GIS tool and works with tiled images and graphics to represent boundaries and other features to allow for on-the-fly use by many online users. Currently, the data that can be exported out of Landscape is limited to the underlying table data associated with layers for selected areas.
alibama

Post by alibama » Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:02 pm

fair enough, i'm definitely going to have to give some thought as to where this tool is useful though... separate question = i can't seem to find the source code online = is that available or part of the trajectory for these tools? i see the hydro toolkit source... drilling down a bit deeper is going to be important to the folks we're working with..

not trying to chew up your time here - i really love the big picture perspective of what's going on, and ultimately would like to see how i can use these products in charlottesville and virginia where i'm helping with canopy study stuff
azelaya
i-Tree Team

Post by azelaya » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:05 am

We do not distribute the underlying i-Tree code. The i-Tree applications were collaboratively developed and supported by public and privately funded research and development involving many different organizations which limits our ability to provide this information.

Although the code is not available for distribution, the i-Tree software applications are free to all and the underlying research and documentation are available to understand how the tools work can be accessed online. Dave Nowak recently published an FS document titled: Understanding i-Tree: Summary of Programs and Methods. which describes i-Tree methods, limitations, future goals, and opportunities to integrate new science.
https://www.itreetools.org/documents/65 ... nrs200.pdf

sorry i have not been able to help with any of your requests.
alibama

Post by alibama » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:21 am

daggone... so close... my concern is that if i'm not accurate with the geometries a bureaucrat may look at a report, see that the boundaries are off by 10 or 20 acres here or there, and toss out the entire report... it's just a dangerous risk for the projects we're looking at right now

i talked to Dr Ercker who wrote this gem https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 5719301282 and was a bit on the fence about moving forward with it, but it's really good science, and just needs some TLC on the user interface... the kind of stuff jupyter or streamlit.io is built for - so that the code - from the machine, to the packages, to the source, is front-facing and transparent.

anyhow keep up the good work! i saw you got the redlining data in from the folks in Richmond.. here in Charlottesville there's a group working on that as well https://mappingcville.com/

And if ya'll develop an API or something else to bring more interoperability to the table I think you'll probably be able to extend your value in the market - might keep the capitalists and the tree huggers happy ;)