Importing/Reconciling csv with addresses geocoded in Eco 6

Section for FAQs regarding i-Tree Database.

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

Amy

Importing/Reconciling csv with addresses geocoded in Eco 6

Post by Amy » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:38 pm

Hi i-Tree Experts & Users,

I geocoded addresses into the csv I exported from my i-Tree Eco 6 project. Now I would like to reconcile that csv with the .ieco project. Is there are hidden csv file somewhere in the program files that I can swap with my updated one? I really don't want to have to copy-paste 200 times and that is not a very elegant solution. Since the csv is structurally exactly the same but now has addresses in the address field, surely there is a way to reconcile that.

Thanks,
Amy
Jason.Henning
i-Tree Team

Re: Importing/Reconciling csv with addresses geocoded in Eco 6

Post by Jason.Henning » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:31 am

i-Tree Eco holds data in an underlying relational database rather than .csv tables.
The most straightforward method to get your coordinate data into i-Tree Eco may be to create an empty project and import your .csv, assuming that your .csv contains all of your Eco data. This approach will only work if you have a complete inventory rather than a plot-based project. To create the empty project you could make a copy of your existing project and delete out all the existing the data. Then you can import your .csv as described in this video, http://www.itreetools.org/media/watch.p ... hW-SL4QHry.
Hope that gives you a place to start. Feel free to email us at info@itreetools.org if you run into trouble with the import process.
Thanks,
Jason
A member of the i-Tree Team
Amy

Post by Amy » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:43 pm

I am doing a sample inventory, not complete. I have 200 sample plots that I have geocoded addresses to. Does that mean my only option is to copy-paste?
Jason.Henning
i-Tree Team

Post by Jason.Henning » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:29 am

Unfortunately, we do not have a plot-based importer at this time. You could attempt to open the .ieco project file using MS Access, locating the appropriate table, and pasting in your full columns of location information at once. This is not a supported or tested method as it is very easy to corrupt the database structure. If you attempt this you should make sure that you are using a back-up copy of your master project.
It is worth noting that i-Tree Eco does not use that location information in any modeling. It is only there for the user's reference. Depending on the goals of your project you may not actually need to integrate that information.
Sorry, I don't have a more elegant solution.
Thanks,
Jason
A member of the i-Tree Team