What do I provide to add precipitation data to the Database?

Section for FAQs regarding i-Tree Database.

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

Jason.Henning
i-Tree Team

What do I provide to add precipitation data to the Database?

Post by Jason.Henning » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:23 pm

If you would like to add hourly precipitation data for a year for location to the database you will need to first ensure that an appropriate location already exists in the i-Tree Database. If no such location exists in the Database you will need to add one. You can see this post about the information necessary to add a location to the Database, viewtopic.php?f=43&t=1301.
If your location is already in the database you can proceed to provide the following information and upload your precipitation data.
• Continent – Continent name of location for which precipitation data is being added. (required)
• Nation – Nation name of location for which precipitation data is being added. (required)
• State – Primary partition (e.g., state, province, or territory) name of location for which precipitation data is being added. (required where applicable)
• Year – Calendar year in which new precipitation data was collected. This is limited to the years available in the dropdown to coincide with preprocessed global weather used by processing servers. Options to add more recent years datasets are typically updated periodically(required)
• Weather Station – Weather station that precipitation data will be added to. (must select a weather already available within the database)
• Precipitation Data – File containing new 1hour precipitation data for a complete year to be uploaded. NOTE- the required unit for hourly precipitation is in Meters per hour. You can download a template for this data here, http://www.itreetools.org/database/Cont ... mplate.zip (required)
A member of the i-Tree Team
Jason.Henning
i-Tree Team

How to represent trace amounts of precipitation

Post by Jason.Henning » Mon May 01, 2017 10:29 am

Some weather stations and weather data sets indicate trace amounts of precipitation with a text identifier like "TR" or "0.00T". These trace amounts are small enough that they don't significantly impact model outputs and can be safely ignored. If your data has these types of text identifiers to indicate trace amounts of rainfall you should replace them with 0's in the i-Tree Database template.

-Jason
A member of the i-Tree Team