What data do I provide to add a new species to the Database?

Section for FAQs regarding i-Tree Database.

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

Jason.Henning
i-Tree Team

What data do I provide to add a new species to the Database?

Post by Jason.Henning » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:44 pm

If you would like to add a species to the database you will need to provide the information indicated below. Note that not all of these items are required.

• Genus Name – Genus name of new species. Used to establish taxonomic rank. Can select from a list of current genus or add a new one. (required)
• Species Name – Scientific species name of new species. Used to establish taxonomic rank. Cannot be a species already in the Database. (required)
• Family – Family name of new species. Used to establish taxonomic rank. Choose from existing families. (required)
• Order – Order name of new species. Used to establish taxonomic rank. Choose from existing orders. (required)
• Class – Class name of new species. Used to establish taxonomic rank. Choose from existing classes. (required)
• Common Name – Common name of new species. (required)
• Growth Form – Expected life-form of new species if located in a natural setting. Choose from "shrub or small tree", "palm" or "tree". (required)
• Percent Leaf Type – Leaf characteristic of new species. Used to inform leaf density. Choose from "hardwood", "palm", "picea", or "pinus". (required)
• Leaf Type – Leaf characteristic of new species. Used to inform if and when leaves are dropped. Choose from "deciduous", "evergreen", "summer deciduous", "semi-evergreen". (required)
• Growth Rate – Expected diameter growth rate, in inches per year, of new species. Choose from "slow (0-0.24 in/yr)", "moderate (0.24-0.41 in/yr)", or "fast (>0.41 in/yr)". (optional)
• Longevity – Expected lifespan of new species. Choose from "short 0-35 years", "moderate 35-55 years", "long >55 years". (optional)
• Height at Maturity (feet) – Expected height at maturity, in feet, of new species. (optional)
• Native Continent – Continent(s) where new species is naturally found. Hold ctrl to select multiple continents. (optional)
A member of the i-Tree Team
juanmijurado

Re: What data do I provide to add a new species to the Database?

Post by juanmijurado » Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:18 am

Good morning,

Is it possible to modify data (growth rate, longevity, etc) of a species that is already loaded in the tree database? or add missing data?

Thanks a lot!
Jason.Henning
i-Tree Team

Post by Jason.Henning » Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:36 am

It is possible to correct the database if there is incorrect data. Please email us directly at info@itreetools.org with the the exact species and data you would like changed and the reason for the change. If you have a large number of species to submit or change we can provide a template spreadsheet. These changes will impact all users selecting these species so they need to be vetted by our database manager. In some cases your suggestions may not be incorporated because we feel we already have values that are more accurate for more users.
Additionally, if you are replacing a species that you previously submitted you can do that directly in i-Tree Database and change the "Re-submission" option to "Yes".
In the future we are planning to implement an option to provide updated information directly through i-Tree Database.
Thanks,
Jason
juanmijurado

Post by juanmijurado » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:49 am

¿There is a time defined to perform to send data of species or pollution? ¿maxim one month or two months before the update de i-Tree? ¿how define this time limit?

Thanks,

Juan Miguel
Jason.Henning
i-Tree Team

Post by Jason.Henning » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:19 am

Hi Juan Miguel,
We recommend that users submit new pollution, precipitation, location, and/or species data through i-Tree Databse six months before they wish to retrieve their results in i-Tree Eco. This is due to the time that it takes to integrate this new data into the software. We are currently testing a new process that may reduce this time to only two months but this process is still being validated. Submitting the data as soon as possible will help guarantee that your information is available in i-Tree Eco when you are ready to process your project and retrieve results.
Additionally, you can submit your information through i-Tree Database and still collect data in your Eco project while you wait for your information to be integrated in Eco. You may have to modify some of you i-Tree Eco project parameters once your information is integrated but you do not need to wait until integration to begin collecting your tree data.
Thanks,
Jason