What data do I provide to add a new species to the Database?

Section for FAQs regarding i-Tree Database.

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

Jason.Henning
i-Tree Team

What data do I provide to add a new species to the Database?

Post by Jason.Henning » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:44 pm

If you would like to add a species to the database you will need to provide the information indicated below. Note that not all of these items are required.

• Genus Name – Genus name of new species. Used to establish taxonomic rank. Can select from a list of current genus or add a new one. (required)
• Species Name – Scientific species name of new species. Used to establish taxonomic rank. Cannot be a species already in the Database. (required)
• Family – Family name of new species. Used to establish taxonomic rank. Choose from existing families. (required)
• Order – Order name of new species. Used to establish taxonomic rank. Choose from existing orders. (required)
• Class – Class name of new species. Used to establish taxonomic rank. Choose from existing classes. (required)
• Common Name – Common name of new species. (required)
• Growth Form – Expected life-form of new species if located in a natural setting. Choose from "shrub or small tree", "palm" or "tree". (required)
• Percent Leaf Type – Leaf characteristic of new species. Used to inform leaf density. Choose from "hardwood", "palm", "picea", or "pinus". (required)
• Leaf Type – Leaf characteristic of new species. Used to inform if and when leaves are dropped. Choose from "deciduous", "evergreen", "summer deciduous", "semi-evergreen". (required)
• Growth Rate – Expected diameter growth rate, in inches per year, of new species. Choose from "slow (0-0.24 in/yr)", "moderate (0.24-0.41 in/yr)", or "fast (>0.41 in/yr)". (optional)
• Longevity – Expected lifespan of new species. Choose from "short 0-35 years", "moderate 35-55 years", "long >55 years". (optional)
• Height at Maturity (feet) – Expected height at maturity, in feet, of new species. (optional)
• Native Continent – Continent(s) where new species is naturally found. Hold ctrl to select multiple continents. (optional)
A member of the i-Tree Team