Adding current pollution and precipitation data

Section for FAQs regarding i-Tree Database.

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

ia7

Adding current pollution and precipitation data

Post by ia7 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:21 am

Dear i-Tree support team,

We want to assess ecosystem services provided by urban forests in Karlsruhe-Germany and are working with i-Tree Eco using plot - based sample project.
In order to have accurate and updated weather and pollution data, I would like to submit available pollution data and precipitation of Karlsruhe City for the year 2018.
However, in the i-Tree template, I read following indication: “Year of pollution must be between 2005 and 2015 to match weather data. More recent weather data will be added in the future as they become available globally”. On the other hand, in a post in the i-tree forum, it was stated that data until the year 2017 can be submitted. Can you please tell me more about this?

My specific questions are:
1. Can I submit pollution and precipitation data for the city of Karlsruhe (Stadtkreis) for the year 2018?
2. From which year is the existing pollution data in the i-Tree database for the City of Karlsruhe?

Best regards and thank you in advance
Iulia
Jason.Henning
i-Tree Team

Re: Adding current pollution and precipitation data

Post by Jason.Henning » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:36 am

Hi Lulia,
Thank you for your question. This is actually very timely. As of earlier this week we are now able to accept precipitation and pollution data through 2018. When you download the templates from i-Tree Database you should see that the precipitation and pollution templates both make this possible. I couldn't find the text you mentioned referring to the 2005-2015 time period. If you let me know where this I will get it updated.
The existing pollution data for your location in i-Tree Eco (which incorporates anything submitted through i-Tree Database) covers the years 2012-2015. You can see what data is available when you set-up your project in i-Tree Eco. I suggest creating a project so that you can see what data is available. Once your project is created you can see more information about the available pollution data and even map the locations of the pollution monitors by selecting the "Metadata" under the "Reports" tab in Eco. You can always edit the weather station year and location later on. This means you can start collecting data even before your precipitation and pollution data has been integrated through i-Tree Database. That process of submitting data through i-Tree Database and having it integrated into i-Tree Eco can take up to six months so it is best to start the process as soon as possible.
Thanks,
Jason
A member of the i-Tree Team
Chrystian_P

Post by Chrystian_P » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:09 am

Dear i-Tree team,

I just submitted precipitation data for a weather station in Duesseldorf, Germany because of poor data here in the region. Could it be possible to be updated on the next program update on May 3rd or will it last longer to be updated, because it's said to last up to 6 months? The question is if I should wait for an integration of the data or choose another weather station further away from the project area.

Thanks in advance and best regards,

Chris
Jason.Henning
i-Tree Team

Post by Jason.Henning » Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:01 am

Hi Chris,
The May 3rd update will only impact the online tools: MyTree, Design, Planting, and the API. It will not impact i-Tree Eco. This means that your data will not be integrated on May 3rd.
We are working on a process that allows for quicker integration of location, pollution, and precipitation data submitted through i-Tree Database but that may still take a couple months. You can move ahead with your project by using another weather station that is farther away as you suggest. You can always change that weather station once your data is integrated into i-Tree Eco. You will receive a notification when that integration occurs and you likely won't need to updated your software. This approach allows you to continue with your project and make use of the new data as soon as it is available.
Thanks,
Jason
A member of the i-Tree Team