Hydro v6.3-beta Soil Macropore parameter misnamed "Percentage" but should be "Fraction", and has outdated default value

Issues related to i-Tree v6.x can be posted in this section. 6.x updates and known issues will be posted here also.
rcoville
i-Tree Team

Hydro v6.3-beta Soil Macropore parameter misnamed "Percentage" but should be "Fraction", and has outdated default value

Post by rcoville » Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:47 pm

The Hydro v6.3.4 Graphical User Interface (GUI), Step 3 Hydrological Parameters, includes "Soil Macropore Percentage" as a parameter. That parameter has a range of 0.0000001–0.2 and a default of 0.000001. Here are two known issues with this parameter:
  • Soil Macropore parameter units are actually a decimal fraction, it is not a percentage.
  • Our latest recommended default value is 0.1, not 0.000001, meaning the project area's average soil has 10% macropore space.
This misnomer is in the user-facing GUI but not in the background model codes. In project working directories, the parameter file UnifiedHydroConfig.xml lists the parameter with the correct unit, named "PMacro_frac".

This superficial error is in the latest Hydro user interface (v6.3.4) but not the latest Hydro+ model. To explain that difference: Development of the Hydro GUI has discontinued, as described on top of the Hydro tool page. Rather than maintain the GUI, we are focusing development on the advanced scientific model behind-the-scenes, which is now available as the Hydro+ tool in the i-Tree Research Suite. The Hydro v6.3.4 GUI (the "frontend") runs the 'stable' Hydro+ model (the "backend", model code revision 377 tagged for i-Tree Hydro v6.3), while development on the Hydro+ model continues without a graphical user interface.
A member of the i-Tree Team

Please provide feedback on our technical support services by clicking here to take our 5 minute survey