Hydro+ weather input

Section for FAQs regarding i-Tree Hydro

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

ValeB

Hydro+ weather input

Post by ValeB » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:17 am

Can the program run with weather inputs with 10 minutes periods?
Can the program run for only a few days set in the weather files?
James.Kruegler

Re: Hydro+ weather input

Post by James.Kruegler » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:46 am

Hi ValeB, thanks for your interest in Hydro+!

It is possible to run Hydro+ with 10-minute time steps, and to run it for a short period like a few days. For a current example of how this works, I recommend looking at the test cases within the /TestCases/StatHydro/GI/ directory of the latest Hydro+ package, available for download here: https://www.itreetools.org/tools/resear ... hydro-plus
The HydroPlusConfig.xml files within these test cases have a parameter called <TotalTimeSteps> that you will need to edit to match the total number of 10-minute periods between the start time and end time of your simulation.

I should note you'll need to make sure all of your time-series inputs (weather, evaporation, and stream discharge) have the same start time, end time, and number of time steps. Hydro+ has been used with sub-hourly inputs by advanced users, but guidance on this is limited and still developing as the code itself is in active development.

Best of luck!
A member of the i-Tree Team

Please provide feedback on our technical support services by clicking here to take our 5 minute survey
ValeB

Post by ValeB » Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:03 am

Thank you for your answer!
I would like to know if it is possible to run the program with 10-minute time step series in the model without GI.
James.Kruegler

Post by James.Kruegler » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:58 am

Not a problem!

I've checked the most recent update to the Hydro+ package (now available on the same page I linked to in my first reply, under "Latest HydroPlus package" on that page), and it should now be possible to run the model with 10-minute time steps and no GI. You can use whichever test case in the /TestCases/StatHydro/ directory is appropriate as an example and starting point.

I should re-emphasize the steps you'll need to take to have Hydro accept 10-minute time steps:
  • Make sure all of your time-series inputs (weather, evaporation, and stream discharge) have the same start time, end time, and number of time steps.
  • In your HydroPlusConfig.xml file, find the <TotalTimeSteps> tag and enter the correct number of time steps based on 10-minute temporal resolution. This will tell the model how many time steps to expect between the the start time and end time.
  • In that same file, find the <TimeStep_sec> tag and enter the number of seconds in your new time step interval (for example, 10 minutes = 600 seconds). This should adjust the model's rate-based parameters to the new time step length.
A member of the i-Tree Team

Please provide feedback on our technical support services by clicking here to take our 5 minute survey