Hydrological Parameters and Model Processes in i-Tree Hydro

Section for FAQs regarding i-Tree Hydro

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

rcoville
i-Tree Team

Hydrological Parameters and Model Processes in i-Tree Hydro

Post by rcoville » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:06 pm

This post will include answers to frequently asked questions about hydrological parameters in step 3 (a/k/a parametrization). Additional information about this subject can be found in: We recognize certain parameters in Step 3 are very technical and may be out of the comfort zone of some users, and so we offer a default parameter set which serves well when using the model for comparative assessments. We are also working to simplify and streamline Step 3 so parameters can be more project-specific without requiring technical hydrology background.

> How does i-Tree Hydro account for infiltration, evapotranspiration, and other components of a water balance?
The technical processes underlying the i-Tree Hydro model are described in the following paper written by original developers of the model. In this paper i-Tree Hydro is referred to by its original name, UFORE-Hydro:
  • Wang, Jun, Theodore A. Endreny, and David J. Nowak, 2008. Mechanistic Simulation of Tree Effects in an Urban Water Balance Model. Journal of the American Water Resources Association (JAWRA) 44(1):75-85. DOI: 10.1111/j.1752-1688.2007.00139.x
    http://www.itreetools.org/hydro/resourc ... dology.pdf
> How does infiltration rate translate into i-Tree Hydro's Hydrological Parameters?
Infiltration rate is a measurement of a dynamic process and therefore it is not a parameter in Step 3 of i-Tree Hydro because it changes over time due to weather and water movement. Infiltration rate is closely related to the saturated hydraulic conductivity (Ksat) near the soil surface, which is a Hydrological Parameter in i-Tree Hydro.
A member of the i-Tree Team

Please provide feedback on our technical support services by clicking here to take our 5 minute survey