Uploading user Tree Canopy Data

Section for FAQs for i-Tree Canopy

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

gicsheppard

Uploading user Tree Canopy Data

Post by gicsheppard » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:48 am

I would like to upload my own canopy layer in order to get the statistics produced in ItreeCanopy. Such as tree benefits. Is this possible?
In addition, I would like to be able to produce numbers for my own data wherever it is possible in the Itree tools. Specifically Ecosystem services. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance.

Stu
Jason.Henning
i-Tree Team

Re: Uploading user Tree Canopy Data

Post by Jason.Henning » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:19 pm

Hi Stu,
This is a common question we get and I'm going to move it to the i-Tree Canopy section of the forum so it is easier for others to find. As to the other part of your question if you have individual tree measurement data you can use i-Tree Design if you just have a few trees and want basic results or i-Tree Eco if you have many trees or plots and want the most complete results. If you have high resolution lidar derived tree cover data for areas where we don't yet have such data in i-Tree Landscape you can submit your data to us for potential inclusion in i-Tree Landscape. Please follow this link to see where we already have Hi-res data in i-Tree Landscape and the requirements for adding your own data, https://landscape.itreetools.org/hires
Thanks,
Jason

Using external imagery in i-Tree Canopy
The i-Tree Canopy application is limited to working with the Google Map imagery and interface, it is possible to replicate the methods used by i-Tree Canopy externally in a GIS system using your own imagery. The i-Tree Canopy application is basically a random point generator requiring the user to classify random survey points generated within a defined boundary. The application performs the statistical calculations to produce cover estimates and standard error as points are surveyed.

The statistical methods are straightforward and are explained in the first two pages of the Technical Notes https://www.itreetools.org/canopy/resou ... dology.pdf.

The additional methods pages may not be relevant to your application but they describe how Canopy estimates air pollution removal and carbon sequestration and storage. If you want to estimate that carbon storage/sequestration and air pollution benefits that i-Tree Canopy includes you can use the multipliers i-Tree Canopy uses and apply them to the acreages of canopy cover you estimate using your chosen data or method. You can always access these multipliers by setting up a dummy project in i-Tree Canopy and copying the table you get when you select your county within the US. Hopefully, this may provide you with a method to consider for your coral application.
A member of the i-Tree Team