How can I find the date of the imagery in i-Tree Canopy?

Section for FAQs for i-Tree Canopy

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

Jason.Henning
i-Tree Team

How can I find the date of the imagery in i-Tree Canopy?

Post by Jason.Henning » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:36 am

Unfortunately, we are limited to the imagery provided in Google Maps. We do not provide any of the imagery used in the i-Tree Canopy tool it is all provided through a link with Google Maps. There is no straightforward way to tell the date of the imagery used in i-Tree Canopy because Google Maps does not provide this information.

However, an easy way to verify the date for a Google Maps Image (which is what is used in Canopy) is to check out the same area in Google Earth Pro. In Google Earth Pro (you can download it here https://www.google.com/earth/versions/#earth-pro) the date of the imagery is listed along the bottom of the map. You will want to verify that you are indeed looking at the exact same images in i-Tree Canopy and Google Earth (i.e. cars are in the same place, same buildings are present, etc.). Most of the time both applications are using the latest imagery but if they don’t look identical Google Earth Pro has a timeline slider represented by small clock icon in the tools bar above them map (see image) that you can use to look at historical imagery to find the one that matches.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A member of the i-Tree Team