Eco - problem with shrub height

Issues related to i-Tree v4.x can be posted in this section. If you encounter any issues, please pass the information along to i-Tree Support.
gerona

Eco - problem with shrub height

Post by gerona » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:18 am

Hi,

I am using i-Tree Eco version 4.1.5 and I have a problem with inserting shrub height. System doesn't allow me to enter height that is less than 1m. I tried to put it as 0,1 or 0.1 - each time I got alerted that the number has to be between 0.1-99
I put it but system still refuses!!

Can someone please help me? :(

Regards,
Gerona
azelaya
i-Tree Team

Eco shrub height entry

Post by azelaya » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:39 pm

Hello Gerona,

I just tested shrub height entry working with Eco v4.1.4 & i-Tree 4.1.5 and was able to enter values between .1 and 1 without generating the alert message or errors. I used the shrub tab under the manual data entry screen accessed by selecting Edit - Enter or Edit data. I tried to replicate with a metric and English project and both worked properly. Can you please verify if I am replicating the same process that you were trying.

Also, can you please use the Pack Project option found under the File menu of Eco to send a copy of your project files to the info@itreetools.org email address. Perhaps, I can test with your data to see if there is something specific with the project.

Thanks,
Al
A member of the i-Tree Team
azelaya
i-Tree Team

Eco shrub height entry

Post by azelaya » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:50 pm

One other thought I wanted to pass along. If you are using Eco outside of the U.S., I would suggest setting up your computer with English (United States) defaults under the control panel region and language settings. There may be an issue with Eco understanding (,) commas or (.) decimal points if your number system setting is different.
Al
gerona

Re: Eco shrub height entry

Post by gerona » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:16 pm

Al,

thank you very much for such a quick and detailed response.
Yes, you were repeating exactly the same procedure as I was doing.

However, I implemented your second advice - changed all my computer settings to English (U.S.) and it did help with entering shrub height. I put 0.5 and it worked!!! yuppii :) Thank you very much!

In general - as I understood - I must enter all the numbers in an American way e.g. 1 meter 50 cm should be written as 1.5 yes?

Kindest regards,
Gerona
azelaya
i-Tree Team

comma and decimal entry follow up

Post by azelaya » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:46 pm

Hi Gerona,

I'm glad that worked out. Yes, I would advise you to enter values using the decimal instead of a comma. Although the Eco application may accept those values when your computer is set with a Regional Language setting other than the U.S, the values with commas may cause problems during the analysis phase or require additional modifications of the code.

It is possible that you may values with commas prior to making the change that are still stored in the input database such as the 1,37 Height DBH. You can change these manually if needed. As you enter new trees, the Height DBH value should auto-generate to be 1.37 for new entries.

Best regards,
Al
gerona

Re: comma and decimal entry follow up

Post by gerona » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:34 am

Hi Al,

thank you once again for all explanations and your invaluable help.

Change of the computer settings solved all my problems and it turned out that a simple closing/re-opening of the Eco application resulted in all commas being changed into decimals (in the DBH and other values I entered earlier on).
That is why I had edited my previous post so as not to bother you with the DBH problem since the application solved it for me, but as I can see you got both versions of my post :)

Big thanks and best regards,
Gerona