GPS not working with I-Tree

Issues related to i-Tree v3.x can be posted in this section. If you encounter any issues, please pass the information along to i-Tree Support.
skinnylogger

GPS not working with I-Tree

Post by skinnylogger » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:01 pm

My GPS on my Juno will not work with I-tree. I fussed around with com-ports and baud rates, but nothing worked. The GPS works fine while using ArcPad and when I used a Holux receiver with Bluetooth, but not the on-board GPS. Any ideas? Is anyone else using I-Tree with a Trimble Juno?
MJKerr
i-Tree Team

Re: GPS not working with I-Tree

Post by MJKerr » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:44 am

skinnylogger wrote:My GPS on my Juno will not work with I-tree. I fussed around with com-ports and baud rates, but nothing worked. The GPS works fine while using ArcPad and when I used a Holux receiver with Bluetooth, but not the on-board GPS. Any ideas? Is anyone else using I-Tree with a Trimble Juno?
Are you using the latest version of i-Tree? Click Help - Check for Updates in any of the applications.

Try setting the COM port to the Program port in the control panel GPS configuration, and checking the "WM5 GPS API" option in Streets PDA. Don't bother with the "test GPS" option, just add a tree and click "Start" in the GPS tab.
skinnylogger

Stteing Com Port To Program Port

Post by skinnylogger » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:29 am

I do not have (or cannot find) the option of using the program port in the GPS setting in the I-Tree program or the Juno settings. I only show two comports in I-Tree: Comport 4 and 7. Under System Settings on the Juno, I show an icon for External GPS and that is the only GPS settings I have found. When I select External GPS I have the choice of setting for GPS under a Program tab, a hardware tab and an access tab. I have been trying to use comport 4 which is what ArcPad uses, but cannot get it to work with I-Tree. Under the Programs Tab I can select GPS Program Port in which I have selected COM4. Under the Hardware Tab I can set the GPS Hardware Port (COM4) and Baud rate (4800). I cannot set the Program port and hardware port to COM4 at the same time, but have tried each one individually. I have checked Manage GPS Automatically under the Access Tab also. I cannot find anything that works. I hope the rambling makes sense. Any ideas?
MJKerr
i-Tree Team

Re: Stteing Com Port To Program Port

Post by MJKerr » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:52 pm

skinnylogger wrote:I do not have (or cannot find) the option of using the program port in the GPS setting in the I-Tree program or the Juno settings. I only show two comports in I-Tree: Comport 4 and 7. Under System Settings on the Juno, I show an icon for External GPS and that is the only GPS settings I have found. When I select External GPS I have the choice of setting for GPS under a Program tab, a hardware tab and an access tab. I have been trying to use comport 4 which is what ArcPad uses, but cannot get it to work with I-Tree. Under the Programs Tab I can select GPS Program Port in which I have selected COM4. Under the Hardware Tab I can set the GPS Hardware Port (COM4) and Baud rate (4800). I cannot set the Program port and hardware port to COM4 at the same time, but have tried each one individually. I have checked Manage GPS Automatically under the Access Tab also. I cannot find anything that works. I hope the rambling makes sense. Any ideas?
In "External GPS," try setting the hardware port to 7, the program port to 4, and then set the COM port in Streets PDA to 4 as well. Also, try setting "Use GPS API" in Streets PDA, exit the application, and do a soft reset of the Juno. Then launch Streets PDA again, add a tree, and click Start on the GPS control. You may ignore the "Test GPS Settings" button.

If there is no "Use GPS API" setting in Streets PDA, please upgrade to the latest version of i-Tree and update Streets PDA.
skinnylogger

Post by skinnylogger » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:02 pm

Still no love with the Juno. Maybe if you have some time on Friday could you give me a call? The office number here is 406-563-6078.
MJKerr
i-Tree Team

Post by MJKerr » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:25 am

skinnylogger wrote:Still no love with the Juno. Maybe if you have some time on Friday could you give me a call? The office number here is 406-***-****.
Sure. I will host a netmeeting of sorts where I can control your computer remotely and try to figure out the issue if you wish.
joell

Post by joell » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:24 am

I'm running Windows Phone 7 O/S. What shall I do? Since iTree is not compatible with it so far. Is there any way out to make them work? Any help appreciated.
azelaya
i-Tree Team

Windows 7 phone O/S - not compatible

Post by azelaya » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:58 pm

Unfortunately, there is not a work-around to get a non-compatible device to work with the i-Tree PDA application. Alternatively, you may want to consider advice posted from Jerry on this topic http://forums.itreetools.org/viewtopic. ... hlight=pda in which he recommends using forms on your non-compatible device to collect field data that will allow information to be exported out as and Excel spreadsheet. Data can then be imported into Streets if data formatting is set up properly.

The Windows 7 phone O/S requires a complete rewrite of the current PDA application code. Therefore, future development will be focusing on creating an online system that will allow any device/smartphone/tablet/notebook/toughbook with internet connectivity to be used for field data collection. More details on this will be coming in the upcoming months as testing & development progresses.
Al
A member of the i-Tree Team
azelaya
i-Tree Team

GPS question on device?

Post by azelaya » Thu May 02, 2013 3:56 pm

Can you please tell us what type of hand held device you are working with and confirm that it is running the Windows Mobile 5.0 - 6.5 O/S.

Please also confirm that you are able to launch the Streets PDA Utility program on the device and access other data input tabs; and that the GPS option was toggled on during the Streets desktop top set up (Input - Data Fields - GPS Lat/long).

Thanks for your cooperation,
Al
A member of the i-Tree Team