problem viewing data collection screen with PDA

Issues related to i-Tree v3.x can be posted in this section. If you encounter any issues, please pass the information along to i-Tree Support.
VT-EAB

problem viewing data collection screen with PDA

Post by VT-EAB » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:26 am

With i-Tree Streets version 3.0.3 - I have been having problems with my Dell Axim X51v showing the complete data collection screen but only with the Species tab (this is an improvement from my July post). At 1st it will show all of the fields, but if you click on the comment section to type a comment the leaf and wood conditions disappear with only 1 of the 2 now showing. But I had no problem installing the program on my PDA or transferring a project to it.

After updating i-tree to the most current version is using the update tool I can no longer send projects to my PDAs. It says I do not have the most current version installed in the PDA even after installing it. I have tried using Active Sync and uninstalling the programs, opening Streets and reinstalling the program. After installing the program I close and reopen Streets and it still says I need to install the current version of Streets.

I have repeated this after preforming a soft and a hard reset on my PDA.

My desktop OS is XP professional Version 2002 SP 3, my PDA OS is 5.1.195 (Build 14957.2.3.1)

Any ideas? Thank you for your help.
azelaya
i-Tree Team

Problem viewing data collection screen on PDA

Post by azelaya » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:49 am

I don't have a Dell PDA to try to replicate the problem. However, I did test with a Pharos & HP PDA. I noticed that the comment box is raised when you click on it to enter text allowing space for the keyboard. Once you are complete with the comment box, clicking on the Condition- Wood entry box will reset the comment box showing both condition fields.

I will have to ask the programmers about your problem with the PDA. Can you please verify that you have 3.0.8 installed on your desktop and that you tried removing the Streets PDA application completely from the PDA by using the following sequence from the PDA menu:Start-Settings-Systems and then selecting Remove Program
After removing Streets from the PDA, perform a hard reset and then try installing clean from the Streets desktop.

Thanks
Al
A member of the i-Tree Team
VT-EAB

Post by VT-EAB » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:32 pm

Al,

When I click on the comment box on the Species tab, it becomes raised. The Condition - Leaves box is shown but clicking on it does not reset the comment box to show both condition fields. If I complete that tree and enter a new one the Species tab is not reset unless I restart Streets.

I have provided images of my pda in PDA images.pdf. Page 1 is what the Species tab looks like when Streets is 1st started. Page 2 is entering data, but not clicking on the comment field. Page 3 is what the tab looks like after clicking on the comment field. Page 4 is clicking on the Condition: Leaves field. Page 5 is what the page looks like after trying to reset the condition fields by clicking on visible (leaves) condition field after entering a comment. Page 6 is after removing the Streets following your previous instructions, preforming a hard reset, and reinstalling Streets to the PDA.

Streets is listed as installed in the PDA even though desktop Streets does not recognize it even after restarting Streets on the desktop. If I try reinstalling using the desktop utility it still does not work.

My desktop versions are Streets: 3.0.6 and i-Tree: 3.0.8

Thank you for your help.

Jen
Attachments
PDA images.pdf
Figures combined into 1 pdf file
(343.76 KiB) Downloaded 832 times
azelaya
i-Tree Team

Problem viewing data collection screen on PDA

Post by azelaya » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:13 pm

Jen,

Thanks for the detailed information and screen shots. This looks much different than my PDA's do when running through the same sequence. I'll pass this along to the programmers and contact you about setting up a net meeting to see if we can identify the issue.

Thanks,
Al
VT-EAB

Post by VT-EAB » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:18 pm

Al,

Thank you. If you need to contact me directly my information is below:

Jennifer McKee
Geospatial Project Developer
Virginia Geospatial Extension Program
Department of Forest Resources and Environmental Conservation
311-A Cheatham Hall (mail code 0324) Blacksburg, VA 24061
Office: (540) 231-9115
URL: www.cnr.vt.edu/gep
Email: jmckee@vt.edu
azelaya
i-Tree Team

Problem viewing screen on PDA Dell Axim X51v

Post by azelaya » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:15 pm

Here is an update for others who may be interested in this post - A problem was discovered with the Dell Axim X51v which we believe is due to similar issues that we have encountered with high resolution PDAs.

We are working on a fix which should be available for download in the next release, after 3.0.9.

Al