no height field?

Issues related to i-Tree v3.x can be posted in this section. If you encounter any issues, please pass the information along to i-Tree Support.
AGH

no height field?

Post by AGH » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:12 am

I could not find a field to enter height anywhere in Streets, so I created height range classes in the 'Other Two" field under the Mgt tab. the problem now is: How can I run a report that summarizes the heights of my population?
To manage street trees means to remove, crown clean, and prune occasionaly. Height data is directly correlated to time and maintenance costs on the mature trees. Seems like it would also have something to do with crown density and the projections that Streets uses in calculating IVs.
Am I missing an imput field somewhere, or does Strees completely ignore tree height?????
azelaya
i-Tree Team

Streets- No Tree Height?

Post by azelaya » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:10 pm

The i-Tree Streets model (STRATUM) does not require tree height for producing benefit outputs. Canopy metrics are a function of tree DBH in the Streets model. Conversely, the i-Tree Eco application requires several canopy metrics for analysis.

I have included an extract from the Northeast Tree Guide Appendix which explains this in more detail. The USFS Community Tree Guides can be accessed from the Resources - Archives page http://www.itreetools.org/resources/archives.php under the i-Tree Streets Reference City Tree Guides tab. The guides for each climate region do a better job of explaining the methodology of the STREETS model as the manual is meant for instructional use.

The Other One, Two & Three fields were made available to keep track of simple data such as a "Yes" or 'No" type scenario or multiple choice data. There is some flexibility in the i-Tree Streets application to collect data that will help managers make decisions but the ability to create custom reports is not possible.

It is important to realize that Streets is fundamentally an analysis tool which will give you a snap shot picture in time of your urban forest resource. The application was not intended to be an operational management tool that will allow you to track or update pruning history, create work orders, develop queries, etc. There are numerous commercial products and home made databases available that can provide this type of functionality.

Lastly, the Streets/STRATUM model was developed to also allow users to import their existing inventories into streets. Most traditional street tree inventories do not have height data available which is why the model relies on DBH and species.

Hope this helps clarify things....
Attachments
Northeast_Tree_Guide_Appendix_extract.pdf
(261.04 KiB) Downloaded 1560 times
A member of the i-Tree Team