Stratum to Streets Conversion

Issues related to i-Tree v3.x can be posted in this section. If you encounter any issues, please pass the information along to i-Tree Support.
dellings
i-Tree Team

Stratum to Streets Conversion

Post by dellings » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:38 am

Several users have reported issues converting Stratum projects into the new i-Tree Streets format. The majority of issues encountered thus far has been the result of improperly named columns or missing required data for users using the Stratum Inventory format. A more detailed description of the issue is as follows:

The Stratum Inventory format specification, outlined in the i-Tree v2 manual, specifies that the order of the columns and their names within Stratum_Inventory table must adhere to the specification. Stratum fails to properly enforce these guidelines. That is, Stratum only considers the position of a column rather than the name of the column. This was a direct cause of a number of issues in Stratum. As a result, i-Tree Streets was modified to only consider the name of a column instead.

This change means that improperly named columns from Stratum projects using the Stratum Inventory format are no longer considered valid and will be ignored during the import process. At the present time, i-Tree Streets 3.0.1 requires the presence of at least the SpCode, DBH, and CityManaged fields for proper conversion. If these fields are not present or are improperly named, the conversion will not succeed. i-Tree Streets 3.0.2 will remove the requirement for the CityManaged field and will properly default all trees as being city managed if the field is missing or improperly named.

Lastly, zones imported from Stratum are all treated as named zones whether or not a name was supplied. This allows i-Tree Streets to standardize zone naming conventions and reduce ambiguity throughout the application. Upon import, all zones used are put in ascending order and are renumbered. The original name or number of the zone is stored as the name for the zone with the newly generated number. The conversion thus resembles the following:

Code: Select all

Stratum               Streets
Zone     Name         Zone     Name
--------------------------------------
2                     1        2
5                     2        5
9                     3        9

Five                  1        Five
Nine                  2        Nine
Two                   3        Two

2        Two          1        Two
5        Five         2        Five
9        Nine         3        Nine
As a result of the above conversion i-Tree Streets no longer supports reporting based on Zone names. Support for this has been disabled until all reports have been updated to deal with the underlying change in structure.

If you encounter issues during the conversion process and you are using the Stratum Inventory format, please verify that your database conforms to the specification outlined in the i-Tree manual and follows the guidelines outlined above.

- David