3.0 issues

Issues related to i-Tree v3.x can be posted in this section. If you encounter any issues, please pass the information along to i-Tree Support.
Jerry

3.0 issues

Post by Jerry » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:52 pm

I don't know if you are going to dedicate a special forum to this topic the way it was done for 1.0 (but not 2.0), so I will post here.

Congratulations to the whole team for the release of i-Tree 3.0--it is evident that a great deal of work has gone on in the interim, and the progress toward actual integration is nice to see.

I have run into a couple of issues during two installation efforts, one on a Dell laptop running XP Professional, the other in Windows 2K run as a virtual machine on a Linux (MEPIS=Debian Stable) platform.

1) I was able to install without problem on the laptop. The new menu entries now exist along with the old ones, which surprised me at first but for which I came to see the reason.
Unfortunately, there are now two entries for the manual: "User's Manual" and "Manual." It would be extremely convenient for the end user to have those menu entries named during installation to reflect the version number. More seriously, both entries bring up the 2.0 Manual (at least, both have that title page), and there appears to be no 3.0 Manual installed here.

2) In the virtual machine, when I started the install I got a dialogue box saying that .NET was optional and did I want to install it? I said no, but then later got another dialogue box saying it was required. The two should be coordinated.

3) Still in the virtual machine, I clicked the install icon again, accepted to have .NET installed, and that appeared to go without problem. But once the actual i-Tree installation then began, I got the same dialogue box telling me .NET was required.
Thinking perhaps a reboot would clear out any Registry problems, I rebooted the machine but got the same message. I shut down for 10 secs with the same result.
Since Mac and Linux users only have access to i-Tree apps through virtual machines, this problem would seem to extend beyond my particular case. I would, of course, be glad to test beta install packages for the i-Tree team in case virtual machine installation is currently not being tested.

Thanks for any guidance.

PS: It dawns on me now that I should enter these in Bugtracker. Can anyone confirm them before I do that?
azelaya
i-Tree Team

i-Tree v3.0 issues - manuals

Post by azelaya » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:50 pm

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for the feedback regarding installation issues that you have encountered with v3.0. I will have to check with the programmers regarding the virtual machine installation issues that you described working within the Linux platform.

As for the manuals, each individual v3.0 application and utility has its own dedicated manual which can be launched from the Help menu within each application. i-Tree Vue is slightly different and the manual is not as easily accessible upon launching the application.

Also, i-Tree Vue and all other individual v3.0 manuals can be accessed from the i-Tree website under the Resources button http://www.itreetools.org/resource_lear ... books.shtm .

The i-Tree 2.1 manual will still be listed in your menu options as you described. I'm wondering if the manuals that you are seeing are from your previous installation as we have not heard about similar manual issues from other v3.0 users? However, I do see where there will be some confusion during the transition.

Thanks,
Al
A member of the i-Tree Team
Jerry

Post by Jerry » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:02 pm

Thanks for the response. So there is no aggregate Manual, just the individual ones? And no way to access the Manual from the Menu, meaning you have to start up an application to see one section of it?

If that is right, I would think most end users would prefer having a Menu entry that took them to an index page called something like "i-Tree User's Manual Table of Contents," from which they could jump to any particular application section wherever it is located. Just a thought for future consideration.
azelaya
i-Tree Team

i-Tree v3.0 manuals

Post by azelaya » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:10 pm

Yes, that is a good thought to consider to assist users with accessing the v 3.0 manuals more readily. Thanks again and I will follow up with you about the Linux issues.

Regards,
Al
Jerry

Post by Jerry » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:57 am

OK, it seems now possible that at least some of the failure with the .NET install may be due a bug in the new version (3.0) of Virtual Box that was just released. I am going to downgrade to the previous version and retest, then will post the results.

EDIT: No change. I downgraded to the previous stable version and got the same result. Back to the programmers...
azelaya
i-Tree Team

i-Tree v3.0 on Linux

Post by azelaya » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:50 pm

Jerry,

The programmers suspect that your problems may be caused because you are running Windows 2000 as the guest operating system within the Linux platform. Windows 2000 is not compatible with i-Tree v3.0. I'm not familiar with Linux but can you change the guest O.S and run Windows XP on the Virtual Box?

Al
Jerry

Post by Jerry » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:14 pm

Windows 2000 is not compatible with i-Tree v3.0.
Oh, well that would explain it. I guess it is probably the .NET causing the trouble, huh? (curses on M$ anyway :twisted: )

In general, almost any guest OS can be run as a virtual machine, and I suppose I must now install XP if I am to continue. Too bad, W2K is such a quick and light OS.

Thanks for getting a response back to me.
Jerry

Got it!

Post by Jerry » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:18 pm

The i-Tree Team will be pleased that v. 3.0 does in fact install on Windows 2000 Pro, once what we in the Linux world call dependencies have been taken care of.

I searched for and downloaded .NET 2.0 SP1, since the i-Tree installation had thrown up an error about missing that application. Installation of the .NET SP1 failed, however, because of a missing Windows 2000 SP4. I searched for and found that, and then installed it without problem (whew!). Then I was able to install the .NET app, and finally i-Tree 3.0.

8)

I haven't tested it all out yet, but it appears fully functional at first glance. Please pass this information on to the programmers, as they may be to incorporate it into a revised installation program later.
azelaya
i-Tree Team

Linux - Windows 2000 i-Tree v3.0 installation

Post by azelaya » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:58 pm

Jerry, Thanks for the update. I will pass along your information to the programmers. Please keep us updated as you continue to test using v3 on that system.

Regards,
Al
Jerry

You asked...

Post by Jerry » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:16 pm

I have run across a head-scratcher now as I work through 3.0 in my setup (W2K running as a virtual machine on a Linux platform).

In ECO, if I open up the DC project, drill down to the charts and select one, I get a nearly black chart image (see attached). If I export it, though, everything looks normal, and STREETS has no trouble producing its charts with proper colors.

Can anyone confirm this behavior? Any thoughts out there? ("Bueller? Bueller?")
Attachments
ECO_DCproj_ChartsProb.jpg
ECO_DCproj_ChartsProb.jpg (72.6 KiB) Viewed 380498 times
MJKerr
i-Tree Team

Re: You asked...

Post by MJKerr » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:43 pm

Hi Jerry,

We have officially removed support for Windows 2000 in i-Tree v3.0.2 due to compatibility issues with Crystal Reports 2008. The installer will no longer allow you to install or upgrade on Windows 2000.

Do you have any VM's running XP you can test in?

Michael
Jerry

Post by Jerry » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:16 pm

Thanks, Michael. I had heard that, but am feeling stubborn. STREETS/STRATUM uses Crystal Reports as well, right? If yes, then I am confused about why the problem only shows up in ECO/UFORE.

I am going to set up a XP machine of these days--as soon as I find my disk--but what fun is there to having everything work OOTB? :lol:
JAH

barking up the right tree?

Post by JAH » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:06 am

I'm trying to get iTree 3.0 to install the application on my PDA, without success. The iTree Manual seems to imply that the correct OS files will be downloaded during the process, but that's not happening. I get a message that .net version 1.0.4292.00 on the PDA might the problem. My Vista~Windows Mobile Device Center~hp iPAQ PDA connection works fine.

Following Jerry's lead, I downloaded and installed .net version 2 on my PC. I'm guessing that some (all?) of the .CAB files tucked into the program folders now need to be copied and installed on my PDA. But, which ones? I count 27 .CAB files.

I'd like your collective wisdom to let me know: 1.) if I'm barking up the right tree and 2.) which of the 27 .CAB files needs to be installed in my PDA's Windows directory?
azelaya
i-Tree Team

PDA installation

Post by azelaya » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:53 pm

Can you please provide a little more background information. First, are you working with Eco or Streets and did you go through the process of setting up a project configuration first before trying to install the PDA application. I am asking because you should not need to transfer .CAB files manually.

Once a project is congifured in either Streets or Eco and the PDA & desktop are communicating by either Windows mobile device center or Activesync, the Check Status button should be able to determine if the PDA application is not loaded.

If you do have a project configuration and are still encountering the problem, can you please tell me if there is a specific error message or during what step in the procedures are you encountering the problem. Streets process are described in the manual on pg30 & Eco procedures are on pg13.

Thanks,
Al
JAH

barking up the right tree?

Post by JAH » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:50 pm

Al:

I'm working with Streets and have a configuration file, with no records in it, ready to load .

On the work with PDA screen I see the following:
Desktop Status-
Desktop Device Center ver 6.0 (in blue)
PDA Status-
PDA OS 5.1
.NET Version 1.0.4292.00 (in red)
Application Version Not installed (in red)

If I proceed with the installation, I get the appropriate screens telling me that the install completed normally, along with a report to that effect that I've included as an attachment.

Despite those assurances, the program doesn't load. I've shut down and rebooted with no affect.

Thanks for the help
Attachments
Streets instalation report.txt
(1.26 KiB) Downloaded 8705 times