Linux support request for i-Tree

The i-Tree community plays a significant role in improving and defining the future capabilities of the i-Tree suite of tools. Therefore, your ideas and comments are important. This forum will serve as a place where i-Tree users can make suggestions on ways to improve all aspects of i-Tree from functionality to the website. The i-Tree executive committee will periodically review suggestions for feasibility and future implementation.

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

azelaya
i-Tree Team

Linux support request for i-Tree

Post by azelaya » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:33 am

A suggestion received from Brad:

I see that you are offering software tools for urban forestry assessments. Could you please provide linux and Mac versions of these tools?

Thank you
A member of the i-Tree Team
Jerry

Post by Jerry » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:10 pm

IMHO it is not really worth the investment to port these applications to Mac and Linux, since iTree apps run just fine on them using open-source or proprietary virtual machines.

I use the open-source, cross-platform application VirtualBox on Linux (specifically, MEPIS 8, which is Debian-based) all the time with no problems. I run it on W2K, but it runs equally well with XP and, supposedly, Vista--as well as Mac OS X. With a shared folder between host and guest OS, it is very easy to move data and results back and forth.

Hope this helps.