i-Tree reporting functionality for pest applications

The i-Tree community plays a significant role in improving and defining the future capabilities of the i-Tree suite of tools. Therefore, your ideas and comments are important. This forum will serve as a place where i-Tree users can make suggestions on ways to improve all aspects of i-Tree from functionality to the website. The i-Tree executive committee will periodically review suggestions for feasibility and future implementation.

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

azelaya
i-Tree Team

i-Tree reporting functionality for pest applications

Post by azelaya » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:36 pm

Several communities have been using both UFORE and STRATUM as a management tool to prepare for emerald ash borer. Although benefits and values are calculated for individual species, several communities have chosen to run STRATUM with and without ash by manually removing all ash from their database so that complete reports could be generated illustrating the change if all ash trees are lost.

A request has also been made in Syracuse to run a UFORE report and adjust the model to remove all ash trees to create a scenario that would illustrate what is at risk to the overall community tree resource if all ash were lost.

Can this functionality be automated into report generation to allow users to model similar scenarios more readily to help raise awareness when a pest or disease threatens a component of their resource?

I am also wondering if others i-Tree users are doing anything similar?

Thanks,
Al
A member of the i-Tree Team
ekuehler

Post by ekuehler » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:32 am

Al,
If UFORE were available as a desktop application, user's could easily run whatever scenario they would like by simply changing up their data sets and get results much more quickly than submitting multiple versions of their data to Syracuse. When can we expect to see the UFORE PC application?
Eric
Eric Kuehler
ekuehler@fs.fed.us
706-559-4268 office phone
706-410-5569 cell phone
azelaya
i-Tree Team

UFORE desktop question

Post by azelaya » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:46 pm

Hello Eric,

I was just in Syracuse last week and was able to look under the hood of the UFORE engine to see how data is processed. It is a rather complex process using the current system with much data and code manipulation and time spent resolving data integrity issues. Remember UFORE data is received from all over the world. In fact, Russia recently submitted a project.

Needless to say, things should be much improved when the code conversion process is complete and users are able to process their UFORE data on their own desk tops. However, that may not be available for another year or two. In the meanwhile, we are trying to increase the capacity to process UFORE data to improve on the turn-around time for results.

Thanks for the question,
Al
A member of the i-Tree Team