Excel template for STRATUM data

Have you created a work-around to a problem you faced with i-Tree? Or have you built a usable tool, template, or guide that you think others might find useful? Use this forum to share your i-Tree tips & tricks.

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

Jerry

Excel template for STRATUM data

Post by Jerry » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:14 pm

I was talking at a conference yesterday with some STRATUM users, and we agreed that it was a pain to have everybody have to format the Excel spreadsheet with the right headers and then try to remember the right codes. I told them I would post a free template for general use, so here it is:

Click to download Streets data spreadsheet

Hope this helps other people--please let me know if you run into problems or have suggestions.
----------
BTW: by rights, a post like this belongs in a forum with a title such as "Tips and tricks"--any chance the i-Tree Team might create one and move this over there?
Last edited by Jerry on Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
smaco
i-Tree Team

Post by smaco » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:56 pm

Great suggestion on creating the Tip & Tricks forum, Jerry. Thanks for the STRATUM template!
a member of the i-Tree Team
Jerry

Great

Post by Jerry » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:02 pm

Thanks--and thanks!

It looks like attachments are not allowed on this new forum, is that correct?
smaco
i-Tree Team

Post by smaco » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:15 pm

Attachments are allowed. Take a second look and let me know if the function is not working for you. Thanks again. --Scott
Jerry

Nope

Post by Jerry » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:06 pm

The whole Attachment panel that is visible when I start to make a new post in the Trainer's Corner, for instance, is missing here.
smaco
i-Tree Team

Post by smaco » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:32 pm

Attachment function should now be working. Thanks for keeping at it....
Jerry

Post by Jerry » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:43 pm

Yes it is-- :D

Thanks for following up on this.
Jerry

Post by Jerry » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:52 am

Is this template still valid? I ask because I see on this page of the new (terrific) i-Tree website that there now is an Excel template that has a zillion additional fields. Are those fields required to be present for i-Tree Streets 3.0?

TIA
azelaya
i-Tree Team

Streets- importing existing data

Post by azelaya » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:48 am

The old template for STRATUM should still work in the import process. Recognizing that there were a zillion new fields to accommodate the pest detection protocol, the import process has been simplified in Streets to allow users to import existing data that without requiring users to account for all the additional fields and fill in null values etc. Thus, users can import with a minimum of SpCode and DBH and Streets will create a database with the other fields.

Note: that you will need to go through the steps to make up a new project first with an empty database; save the new project. You can then do a File- Import- Inventory Data and navigate to your existing data to bring it into Streets.

I have copied information from pg 25 of the Streets manual below for reference for other users.

Formatting Existing InventoriesIf you are working with an existing inventory, you must format your data to conform to the Streets requirements. The end result will be a Microsoft Access database that includes at least Species and DBH fields, but can additionally include any of the 28 fields in Table 1 page 26 in the Streets manual and/or all of the fields used in the Pest protocol (see Appendix 3). The Access file can have any name, but the table within it containing the inventory must be called STRATUM_Inventory.

The requirements for formatting are as follows:

You are only required to include fields for which you have data. If, for example, you only have species and DBH data, your database will only need two columns.

The field names must appear exactly as they are shown in Table 1. Spelling is critical.

Your data must match the format shown in Table 1. For example, the SpCode field must be formatted as text and the DBH field must be formatted as a number.

Entries without data should be left blank or filled with zeros.
Access or Excel templates for Streets are available at www.itreetools.org > Resources.

Al
A member of the i-Tree Team
VT-EAB

Post by VT-EAB » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:13 pm

We very much appreciate the use of the template for our work; however, we have found some discrepancies (and I am not sure I am allowed to attach a template). As we have been reformatting existing inventories, we have found some items that may cause fustration for users.

In the template, TreeID Zone StreetSeg CityManaged SpCode have an apostrophe before the word. This will need to be deleted before processing. Also note, TreeID is no longer used in Streets. It is now ID. The template is a great tool and we appreciate someone putting it together. These additions should make things a little easier.
Jerry

Post by Jerry » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:06 pm

Well I put it together, as I describe in the first post of this thread, and am glad it was useful to you. I appreciate your looking at it carefully, and making such useful comments.

Would the i-Tree Team like to take this over at this point? They are welcome to change it and put it on their own server, and just redirect the link in the opening post.

I won't be able to turn to this until I come back from 2 weeks out the country anyway, so by then we should know how they would like to see this proceed.
azelaya
i-Tree Team

Streets Template

Post by azelaya » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:10 pm

We also greatly appreciate helpful tools that users share with other i-Tree users as our resources are limited also. If you have modified the template posted by Jerry for use at Virginia Tech, you can upload the updated file using the "add an attachment" option in this thread for others to use in the future.

The development staff has an Excel spreadsheet (Streets Excel Import Template) on the server in the Resources - Archives section of the website that can be adapted to the data fields in one's inventory. Granted this template has all the fields added for the pest detection module but they can be deleted if not needed as can other fields that aren't being utilized.

Since users are now only required to have SpCode & DBH at a minimum to import an inventory into Streets, it may be confusing to add another template on the server that is showing the 17 fields required from the original STRATUM import process. http://www.itreetools.org/resources/archives.php
A member of the i-Tree Team
Jerry

Post by Jerry » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:54 pm

OK.

I will modify the original following the comments from VT-EAB, so my link in the OP will download the modified spreadsheet in the future.
Jerry

Post by Jerry » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:39 pm

Done. Could EAB-VT or another user check that all is OK?

TIA
VT-EAB

Post by VT-EAB » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:02 pm

Great Job! Everything looks good. Should be able to upload directly in Access and into Streets.

Thank you!!