Definition of a Street tree

Section for FAQs regarding i-Tree Streets (STRATUM)

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

LStott

Definition of a Street tree

Post by LStott » Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:16 pm

This is a basic question but a student in a class has asked us what a street tree is and how far from street does have to be to become a Non-Street tree? I assume that the tree is within the ROW or sidewalk but I have gone through the site and the literature and cannot find a reference to this in the literature. Perhaps I am missing the obvious here but do you have a definition of a street tree. Does anyone have a definition they can share or could you direct me to a paper or section of the manual that provides this information?

Thank You
azelaya
i-Tree Team

Re: Definition of a Street tree

Post by azelaya » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:32 am

Sorry, I'm not aware of any standard definition and this seems to vary by locality or by local interpretation...at least in the States. Other countries may differ. From i-Tree's perspective, the designation of what is a street tree and is included in an assessment is made by local project managers. Keep in mind if you are using i-Tree Streets, it is applying benefits like energy effects and aesthetic values to all trees regardless if a trees actually have these values. For example, a woodlot that has trees along a street may have trees along the boundary managed/pruned as a street tree for public safety, but may not have any energy effect or aesthetic value that a street tree in front of a dwelling.
A member of the i-Tree Team