Canopy Cover Area on Modelization

Section for FAQs regarding i-Tree Eco (UFORE)

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

Luca96

Canopy Cover Area on Modelization

Post by Luca96 »

Hi,
I've run a modelization of my project on Itree-Eco. I'd like to know if it's possible to see the evolution of the canopy cover area of the trees over the years. At the moment I can see available only the evolution of the canopy cover of the whole area and for each stratum but not for all the specific trees. Is it possible to have this information available since I assume it's used to evaluate the cover at the area and stratum levels? Additionally is there any document that provides the stationary DBH reached by the species at the end of their evolution?
Jason.Henning
i-Tree Team

Re: Canopy Cover Area on Modelization

Post by Jason.Henning »

Hi Luca,
i-Tree Forecast is not an individual tree model. It groups trees into cohorts by species and size. You can get the cohort level outputs as a detailed SQLite database if click on the "Browse" button and select a location for that file at the bottom of the Configuration Summary screen that appears when you click on the "Run Forecast" button. That database is provided for expert users and is not something we can provide technical support for. You will need a program like "DB Browser for SQLite" to open and view the database. Then you can look in the "EcoForecastCohorts" table for the CrownWidth of each cohort for each year. For more details on how the Forecast model works please see the relevant section of our Understanding i-Tree document.
The methods in i-Tree rely more on maximum height than maximum dbh. Trees will continue to add diameter (new rings) as long as they are alive. If you check our online Database portal you can search the species section to find the maximum heights i-Tree is using for each species, https://database.itreetools.org/#/species. If you leave the search field blank it will return the full list of species with their maximum heights. For additional details please see Understanding i-Tree linked above. Appendix 13 of Understanding i-Tree includes some maximum dbh values but these are typically the range that the indicated equation is appropriate for rather than the maximum dbh of a given species.
Thanks,
Jason
A member of the i-Tree Team
Luca96

Re: Canopy Cover Area on Modelization

Post by Luca96 »

Thank you Jason, very useful answer.