How is Carbon sequestration calculated exactly and where to find the species specific factors used in calculation?

Section for FAQs regarding i-Tree Eco (UFORE)

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

goek_lisa

How is Carbon sequestration calculated exactly and where to find the species specific factors used in calculation?

Post by goek_lisa »

Hello,

I have a question about the calculation of carbon sequestration for some species.
I'm working on a project in Germany with five tree species (Acer platanoides, Carpinus betulus, Fagus sylvatica, Platanus x acerifolia, Quercus robur).
For the Carbon sequestration (and related Oxygen production), i-Tree eco calculates a significantly lower annual Carbon sequestration for Carpinus betulus, than for the other four species, which is not explainable by tree size (mean annual carbon sequestration for Carpinus betulus = 2.3 kg/year, for the other four species =23-43 kg/year). I looked into the Methods Manual and the Shading Coefficients and Conversion Factors for Leaf Area to Biomass, but found nothing conspicuous, that could explain the large discrepancy.

So my question is, how exactly is the Carbon Sequestration calculated, and which species-specific factors are used in the calculation (and where to find them for the five species)?

Thank you and best regards!
Lisa
Jason.Henning
i-Tree Team

Re: How is Carbon sequestration calculated exactly and where to find the species specific factors used in calculation?

Post by Jason.Henning »

Hi Lisa,
You can find most of this information in our Understanding i-Tree document and the associated appendices. The carbon (page 42) and biomass sections (page 23) of that document as well as the biomass equations in Appendix 10 and the Wood Density equations in Appendix 11 are all relevant to the carbon estimates. Additionally, you can find growth rates, maximum tree heights, and longevity information used for each species in i-Tree by searching for those species in our i-Tree Database web portal.
Anecdotally, I am not surprised at the significantly lower annual sequestration rates for the Carpinus. That species has slower growth rates and a much smaller maximum size than all of the other species you mention. If you are comparing relatively large diameter trees it is likely that the Carpinus has already reached its maximum size and the models therefore greatly reduce its expected annual growth and associated carbon sequestration.
Thanks,
Jason
A member of the i-Tree Team
goek_lisa

Re: How is Carbon sequestration calculated exactly and where to find the species specific factors used in calculation?

Post by goek_lisa »

Hello Jason,
Thank you for your fast answer.
Your input was very helpful since the surveyed trees actually have a relatively high DBH and we also thought about the maximum size of Carpinus trees, but were not sure if the effect in the calculation could be that great compared to the other species.
Thanks again and regards,
Lisa