Trouble Retrieving Data from Mobile Collector

Section for FAQs regarding i-Tree Eco (UFORE)

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

mduddy

Trouble Retrieving Data from Mobile Collector

Post by mduddy »

I created a new project two weeks ago. I went out into the field and collected data on several trees. I used the mobile data collector on an Iphone 12. I submitted the data while in the field, came home, and retrieved the data using my laptop. All the data is there. Today I returned to the field, collected data using the same Iphone, submitted the data, came home, tried to retrieve the data, and the button for retrieving data from mobile collector is grayed out. I thought maybe I had an internet connectivity issue in the field, and lost my data. I returned to the project location, collected data on one tree while I had good connectivity, submitted the data on that one tree, and then collected data on a couple additional trees, with good connectivity, and submitted that data. I then returned home again, and tried to retrieve the data from my mobile collector. Again, the button for retrieving data is gray. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Jason.Henning
i-Tree Team

Re: Trouble Retrieving Data from Mobile Collector

Post by Jason.Henning »

There are a couple things that could be going on here.
1. You may just need to turn on the editing mode using the button in the top ribbon in Eco on your laptop to make the retrieval button available.
2. If that doesn't work the more challenging issue may be that changes were made to the Eco project on your laptop. In some cases changes can make it so the data on your phone no longer matches the format that Eco is expecting.
Hopefully, it is the first issue. However, if you continue to struggle with this feel free to contact us directly at the i-Tree support email, info@itreetools.org.
Thanks,
Jason
A member of the i-Tree Team
mduddy

Post by mduddy »

The tip about turning on editing mode in order to retrieve data is very helpful. Thank you.

Before I saw your response, my solution was as follows: I clicked on Submit to Mobile, and re-submitted my project to my iPhone. I received a prompt asking if the same key should be used, and I replied yes. I then went into the field, collected tree data on my iPhone, returned to my laptop, and was then able to retrieve the data. Is there any problem you can see with re-submitting an existing project to Mobile in that fashion?
Jason.Henning
i-Tree Team

Post by Jason.Henning »

That approach should work most of the time. You may run into trouble if you edit the data or data collection options in your project before submitting to mobile again. That would create a mismatch between the data Eco on your laptop is expecting and the data you are collecting in the field. For example, if the data you submitted but could not retrieve contained species, dbh, and height but you edited your project options to now only include species and dbh, Eco wouldn't know what to do with those records that still included height.
Unless you are making changes to project set-up your should be okay with that approach.
Thanks,
Jason
A member of the i-Tree Team
mduddy

Post by mduddy »

Okay, perfect, thank you.