Plot based land cover class estimation

Section for FAQs regarding i-Tree Eco (UFORE)

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

45Joana-bana

Plot based land cover class estimation

Post by 45Joana-bana » Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:23 am

Dear i-Tree Team,
First and foremost I would like to thank you for your great technical support for international i-Tree user who don't well experienced with this crucial model. I just want further clarification on the following issues;

1. The land cover classes of a given plot should be determined in terms of percentage, according to the users guideline. However, I couldn't see any mechanism how to estimate the land cover classes at plot level during the field survey. Does it mean estimation based on the personal observation of the data collectors?

2. In my country Ethiopia, there is no any data about the local price for the benefits of runoff avoiding and building energy saving by the urban trees. Thus, can I still working with the i-Tree Eco Model to estimate the building energy saving and storm water management benefits of urban green infrastructure?

Thank you in advance.
Jason.Henning
i-Tree Team

Re: Plot based land cover class estimation

Post by Jason.Henning » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:47 am

Thank you for your questions.
1. The land cover classes of a given plot should be determined in terms of percentage, according to the users guideline. However, I couldn't see any mechanism how to estimate the land cover classes at plot level during the field survey. Does it mean estimation based on the personal observation of the data collectors?
Yes, the people collecting data in the field should observe the plot and estimate the percentages by personal observation. In some case it can be helpful to create maps that include the plot boundary overlaid on an aerial imagery. This can be accomplished in Google Earth with some basic GIS skills.
2. In my country Ethiopia, there is no any data about the local price for the benefits of runoff avoiding and building energy saving by the urban trees. Thus, can I still working with the i-Tree Eco Model to estimate the building energy saving and storm water management benefits of urban green infrastructure?
As long as your location has precipitation data you can get avoided runoff estimates. However, you may want to focus on the volume of runoff avoided rather than the monetary value. The monetary value for avoided runoff will be based on the average cost to treat a gallon of stormwater in the US. This value is unlikely to be accurate in your location. You can also get estimates of the energy savings of trees but these will be based on US building practices, energy costs, and energy types. These estimates will be inaccurate for your location if building practices and energy costs in your country differ from those in the US. It is up to you if you think it is appropriate to report those results as part of your project. For additional information on how the energy model works and to help you evaluate whether it is appropriate for your location please see this methods document, https://www.itreetools.org/documents/57 ... gtr171.pdf.
Thanks,
Jason
A member of the i-Tree Team