Batch Runs

Section for FAQs regarding i-Tree Eco (UFORE)

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

wbrainey

Batch Runs

Post by wbrainey » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:21 pm

I'm running different development scenarios of Green Infrastructure as different trees using the i-Tree Eco tool, I'm modelling more than 100 different implementation and tree scenarios using randomized plots from ArcGIS and different tree characteristics.

Is there an easier or more efficient way to run the i-Tree Eco tool for a large number of runs? Is it possible to do batch runs to more quickly get results rather than manually inputting new data and waiting for data to be processed for each run. Any suggestions on how to make the data input and submission process quicker would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-Will
Jason.Henning
i-Tree Team

Re: Batch Runs

Post by Jason.Henning » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:19 am

Hi Will,
Unfortunately, there isn't a built in mechanism to facilitate the type of batch runs you are describing.
As an alternative you could set up each of your projects as a separate stratum and combine them all in one project. Then you could use the individual tree or strata level results in your analysis. I have never tried to do that many strata so you may run into an upper limit there and need to break it into multiple projects. Users have reported that the maximum number of trees for a single project is around 140,000.
We do have an import mechanism for complete inventories but not for plot-based samples. i-Tree Eco is not a a spatially explicit model so the location of plots is not factored into the model. Depending on the goals of your project you may want to consider skipping any location work in ArcGIS or creating your scenarios as complete inventories.
Similarly, there is no way to avoid submitting and retrieving each project to and from our server. Perhaps combining your projects into a single stratified project will make that process easier.
Thanks for your questions.
-Jason
A member of the i-Tree Team