Import data from Excel to Eco v6.0 in a plot-based sample project?

Section for FAQs regarding i-Tree Eco (UFORE)

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

KANG1943

Import data from Excel to Eco v6.0 in a plot-based sample project?

Post by KANG1943 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:11 am

Hi, this is Kang from China, who is now working in a project in Japan.
I wonder how to import data from an Excel file if I already had the data in Excel format (input manually from paper form) into i-tree Eco v6.0 in a plot-based sample project?

There was actually a post talking about this issue, "import existing data set into Eco version 6" posted by user "drew-uf" in the year before last:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1350&p=2449&hilit=s ... xcel#p2449
but according to the reply of i-tree team, it was impossible to do that at that time. I wonder if it's possible to make it now?

Thank you very much :)
Jason.Henning
i-Tree Team

Re: Import data from Excel to Eco v6.0 in a plot-based sample project?

Post by Jason.Henning » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:15 am

Hello,
Unfortunately, import of plot data is still not possible. Unfortunately, that feature is challenging to build because it requires the import of two linked tables (plots and trees) with significant error checking to ensure that data is compatible with i-Tree Eco. At the same time relatively few users have the necessary plot data from a randomized sample. Given the limited number of users requesting this feature and the programming cost plot import is not a current priority.
It is possible to import your data as a complete inventory and perform the necessary statistical calculations to create population level estimates outside of i-Tree Eco. If you are interested in the inventory import process please see this video http://www.itreetools.org/media/watch.p ... hW-SL4QHry. You will need to have some statistical expertise if you are going to create population level estimates from individual tree results for plot data. We do not have the capability to advise on specific statistical matters outside of the i-Tree tools.
Thanks,
Jason
A member of the i-Tree Team
KANG1943

Post by KANG1943 » Fri May 10, 2019 6:41 am

Jason.Henning wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:15 am
Hello,
Unfortunately, import of plot data is still not possible.
Hi, thank you very much for your reply.
Then, is it possible to export the plot-based sample input data to an Excel? Like I input the investigation data into Eco v.6.0 one by one and export the data out to an Excel file? Thanks.
Jason.Henning
i-Tree Team

Post by Jason.Henning » Fri May 10, 2019 8:15 am

Yes it is possible to export data from a plot-based sample project to a spreadsheet. In i-Tree Eco you would click on the data tab, then select the "Plots" button. With the "Plots" table open you can then click on the "CSV" button to save a spreadsheet that can be opened in MS Excel. You would then repeat this process to export the tree data (i.e. click on the "Trees" button, then the "CSV" button to export the tree data).
You can check how this process works using one of the example plot projects that you can access from the "File" menu in i-Tree Eco. This will help you ensure that you can get the data you need before performing too much data entry.
Thanks for your interest in i-Tree.
-Jason
KANG1943

Post by KANG1943 » Sat May 11, 2019 11:49 pm

Hi Mr. Henning,
Thank you for your reply. I made it! :D
sganznyc

Post by sganznyc » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:29 pm

Jason.Henning wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:15 am
Hello,
Unfortunately, import of plot data is still not possible. Unfortunately, that feature is challenging to build because it requires the import of two linked tables (plots and trees) with significant error checking to ensure that data is compatible with i-Tree Eco. At the same time relatively few users have the necessary plot data from a randomized sample. Given the limited number of users requesting this feature and the programming cost plot import is not a current priority.
Is this still the case?
Jason.Henning
i-Tree Team

Post by Jason.Henning » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:27 pm

Yes this is still the case. Given our limited staff and development time I don't believe this will be implemented in the near future without a dedicated funding source for this specific feature.
Depending on what results you are interested in and your desired accuracy you could always import your data as a complete inventory and perform the statistical calculations on your own outside of i-Tree Eco to create population level estimates.
Sorry for the inconvenience but thanks for the question.
Thanks,
Jason
danielvolk

Post by danielvolk » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:55 am

Hi, I'm a new user of iTree and I believe the option to import plot-based data is still unavailable. Has there been any further consideration given to including this option? Thanks.
Jason.Henning
i-Tree Team

Post by Jason.Henning » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:26 am

There is no change in the status of a plot-based importer. This is still a feature that we can not implement without additional funding given the relatively small user base requesting this feature.
Thanks for your question.
-Jason
Jason.Henning
i-Tree Team

Post by Jason.Henning » Tue May 16, 2023 8:21 am

UPDATE: As of version 6.0.32 it is now possible to import plot data into i-Tree Eco. The process is largely the same as importing complete inventory data but you most import a spreadsheet with your plot data and a separate spreadsheet with your tree data. Each tree record must have a plot number for the import to work correctly.
-Jason