How to manage unknown data

Section for general i-Tree questions on installation, system requirements, registration, international use, etc.

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

iUrbanTree

How to manage unknown data

Post by iUrbanTree »

Hello iTree Forum,

I am trying to send my data for Processing, sadly I get an error message ("Tree 970 has invalid crown health information") for all data points that are unknown (I filled them as N/A). For example, if the data for the crown health is unknown then I add "N/A".

Is there any way to submit the data with unknown parameters? What can I do to process the data if I do not have the crown health of all trees?

Thanks and Regards,
-iTree User
Jason.Henning
i-Tree Team

Re: How to manage unknown data

Post by Jason.Henning »

Hi,
Unfortunately, there isn't a way to provide partial data for trees. If you choose to collect a certain field variable it needs to be provided for all trees.
In the case of crown health, when users choose not collect that field variable at all i-Tree Eco uses a default value of 13% dieback (87% condition). The default or estimated values for each field variable can be found in our https://www.itreetools.org/documents/26 ... _07_15.pdf document.
As a workaround in your case, you could enter the default value for crown health in place of "N/A" in your spreadsheet. Alternatively, you could also assign N/A to a valid crown health value during import by choosing the "map my data" option during the import process. You should think carefully about what you want these default values to be. Since you have some actual data you could determine the average condition of the trees where that data was collected. That is likely to be a better localized value than the i-Tree default.
Thanks,
Jason
A member of the i-Tree Team