Using iTree outputs for modelling

Section for general i-Tree questions on installation, system requirements, registration, international use, etc.

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

Plasmodioom

Using iTree outputs for modelling

Post by Plasmodioom » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:05 pm

Hi All,

I have iTree outputs generated from various tree measurements in the UK and I'm interested to see the relationships between the output values and my other data collected on-site.

I'm using a few statistical tests but I am concerned about modelling relationships using iTree outputs as they are generated from models themselves.

My question is essentially - Can iTree outputs be statistically tested against non-iTree outputs?
And if so, do you have any papers/examples where they did it?

Many thanks,

James
Jason.Henning
i-Tree Team

Re: Using iTree outputs for modelling

Post by Jason.Henning » Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:22 pm

Hi James,
It is tough to answer this one because it sounds like what you are trying to do is beyond the scope of typical i-Tree use. I am not sure exactly what data you are are trying to use or what relationships you are trying to estimate but in general there is no reason you can't create those statistical estimates. It may end up that you are capturing differences in models, sampling error, measurement error, or any other sources of variability that may be present in i-Tree outputs or the data you are comparing i-Tree results to. You may want to consult a statistician to make sure that your approach is accomplishing your goals.
As far as papers here are a few recent ones that may be relevant and you may want to check the works cited list in each of those:
Lin, J., Kroll, C. N., & Nowak, D. J. (2020). Ecosystem service-based sensitivity analyses of i-Tree Eco. Arboriculture and Urban Forestry, 46(4), 287-306.
Lin, J., Kroll, C. N., Nowak, D. J., & Greenfield, E. J. (2019). A review of urban forest modeling: implications for management and future research. Urban Forestry & Urban Greening, 126366.
Berland, A., (2020). Urban tree growth models for two nearby cities show notable differences. Urban Ecosystems.
Thanks,
Jason
A member of the i-Tree Team