Tree benefit variations

Section for general i-Tree questions on installation, system requirements, registration, international use, etc.

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

lrtassone

Tree benefit variations

Post by lrtassone » Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:52 pm

Hello there,

I am trying to figure out the cumulative value of a 2 inch oak tree, planted in the last year, in excellent condition. I've used multiple different tree beenfit calculators to estimate the annual value and I'm getting a large discrepancy in the results. Please advise.

2 inch oak tree planted in a local urban park.

Calculations per mytree.itreetools.org:
-If I do very specific site calculations, ie: an oak 60ft from a building the value is $8.14/yr
-When I only input the zipcode and that the tree is planted in a park, excellent condition, the oak is worth $0.79/year

Calculations per treebenefits.com:
I input the zipcode, size and tree condition. It calculates that a 2 inch oak provides $17 of yearly benefits.

Calculation per i-Tree Eco:
zipcode, condition and size accounted for, 2 inch oak has a benefit value of $0.52/year

Am I doing something wrong in my calculations? It makes me nervous that I am getting such large discrepancies.

Thank you,
Lindsey Tassone
Erika.Teach

Re: Tree benefit variations

Post by Erika.Teach » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:18 pm

Hello Lindsey,

Different tree benefits assessment models will estimate benefits differently. When a tree is inputted into MyTree and building distance and direction is not inputted, MyTree will estimate energy benefits compared to entering a tree into MyTree without building distance and direction. Therefore, the tree entered with building distance and direction can have an increased amount of benefits estimated compared to a tree entered without building distance and direction. This depends on the location of the tree in relation to the building. Also, My Tree is estimating the size of the tree canopy (total height, base height, width) based only on species, dbh, condition, and sun exposure, whereas i-Tree Eco can estimate the size of the tree canopy based on a few or many tree measurements. Depending on what data is inputted the software relies on defaults to fill in the rest. It is possible to input data into MyTree and specific data into Eco for the same tree and almost get the same benefits estimates.

To get the most accurate benefits estimates I suggest you use i-Tree Eco and input specific species (not genera), dbh, land use, height to live top, base height, crown widths, and crown health. To read about data limitations in Eco go here: https://www.itreetools.org/documents/26 ... 07_15.pdf

The calculator at treebenefits.com is based on i-Tree Streets, a different model compared to MyTree and i-Tree Eco. To read more about this model go here: https://www.itreetools.org/support/reso ... -and-files and here https://www.itreetools.org/tools/i-tree-streets

Kind Regards, Erika