Using I-Tree in a classroom - suggestions?

Section for general i-Tree questions on installation, system requirements, registration, international use, etc.

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

Phiferc

Using I-Tree in a classroom - suggestions?

Post by Phiferc » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:28 pm

Hi i-Tree Community,

I am interested in using this tool for a classroom assignment/project for a community college class. Does anyone have any experience with this? I am thinking to keep it simple at first and use MyTree and have students measure their own backyard trees and then combine individual data into a classroom dataset and have students make a poster of it? I appreciate any suggestions from this group!

Thanks,
Colin
Erika.Teach

Re: Using I-Tree in a classroom - suggestions?

Post by Erika.Teach » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:06 am

Hello Colin,

This forum does not have a community of people collaborating on i-Tree issues. Instead the i-Tree tech support team answer questions that users post.

Your idea about having the students use MyTree would be a useful way for students that are not familiar with the benefits trees provide to learn. You will also be introducing them to species identification, how to measure dbh, and if you choose, how tree placement around a structure can increase or decrease heating and cooling costs. To teach about energy and tree interactions i-Tree Design is a great tool to use due to the energy grid that comes up around trees users have placed when that option is chosen.

If they already have those urban forestry basics down and you want to introduce them to more inputs and outputs as well as a more complex software program you could have them upload the tree data into i-Tree Eco. And when students are able to come together to collect data and work on projects they could measure a cohort of trees on campus and then upload that data into Eco.

To see a report by a student at Penn State University using i-Tree results, go here https://www.itreetools.org/support/reso ... ee-reports and scroll down to the report titled The Environmental Benefits of Trees on an Urban University Campus.

At one point David Bloniarz with the USFS had a forum group for people who work in that fields, I am unsure if that is still active, see information and his contact info here, https://www.itreetools.org/support/reso ... l-students

Hope that helps.
Erika