UFORE in Casper WY

Have you used i-Tree components for your own project? This is the place to tell others about your experiences—and to link to online results, images, reports, and publicity. Relevant topics include project area, challenges, organization, methods, and effects.

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

StormyJerry

UFORE in Casper WY

Post by StormyJerry » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:53 pm

An analysis of trees in Casper, WY reveals that this city has about 123,000 trees with canopies that cover 8.9 percent of the area. The most common tree species are plains cottonwood, blue spruce, and American elm. The urban forest currently stores about 37,000 tons of carbon valued at $689,000. In addition, these trees remove about 1,200 tons of carbon per year ($22,000 per year) and about 50 tons of air pollution per year ($249,000 per year). The structural, or compensatory, value is estimated at $243 million. Information on the structure and functions of the urban forest can be used to improve and augment support for urban forest management programs and to integrate urban forests within plans to improve environmental quality in the Casper area.

Project Leader: Jim Gerhart, City of Casper Parks Division
Support: Wyoming State Forestry Division
Report: http://www.nrs.fs.fed.us/pubs/rb/rb_nrs004.pdf