UFORE in Miami

Have you used i-Tree components for your own project? This is the place to tell others about your experiences—and to link to online results, images, reports, and publicity. Relevant topics include project area, challenges, organization, methods, and effects.

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

fescobed

UFORE in Miami

Post by fescobed » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:47 pm

We recently started a project to study Miami’s urban forest using UFORE methods. Aside from understanding the usual structure, function, and value of the urban forest we want information to better assess the effects of recent hurricanes. We’ll also use standard UFORE methods to develop a separate model to predict tree debris following wind storms and the role of trees in modifying wind damage to buildings. The permanent plots will be used to study changes in tree condition over time and to serve as permanent hurricane effects monitoring sites.

Additional objectives are to understand the role of socioeconomics and soils in urban forest composition and to detect the presence and distribution of invasive tree species.

This project will involve collaboration between the University of Florida- School of Forest Resources and Conservation, USDA Forest Service-Centers for Urban and Interface Forestry, UF/Miami Dade Cooperative Extension Service, Miami-Dade County Department of Environmental Resources Management, and the Florida Division of Forestry.
Francisco Escobedo
Assistant Professor
University of Florida
School of Forest Resources & Conservation
forest

Re: UFORE in Miami

Post by forest » Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:44 pm

I want to know the progress of your project.
I am from China, I will stay in WFC in Portland for one year. My project is using UFORE model to estimate urban forest effect. I will learn the tools in order to make full use of it in China in the future.
I am regret I know the forum so later. would you mind give me your email and phone number? thanks

fescobed wrote:We recently started a project to study Miami’s urban forest using UFORE methods. Aside from understanding the usual structure, function, and value of the urban forest we want information to better assess the effects of recent hurricanes. We’ll also use standard UFORE methods to develop a separate model to predict tree debris following wind storms and the role of trees in modifying wind damage to buildings. The permanent plots will be used to study changes in tree condition over time and to serve as permanent hurricane effects monitoring sites.

Additional objectives are to understand the role of socioeconomics and soils in urban forest composition and to detect the presence and distribution of invasive tree species.

This project will involve collaboration between the University of Florida- School of Forest Resources and Conservation, USDA Forest Service-Centers for Urban and Interface Forestry, UF/Miami Dade Cooperative Extension Service, Miami-Dade County Department of Environmental Resources Management, and the Florida Division of Forestry.