empty data

Have you used i-Tree components for your own project? This is the place to tell others about your experiences—and to link to online results, images, reports, and publicity. Relevant topics include project area, challenges, organization, methods, and effects.

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

hdelaconcha

empty data

Post by hdelaconcha » Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:21 pm

We are currently 20% advanced in data gathering with the Merida project and I started a new one in Playa del Carmen and I have questions regarding empty fields or data. I am telling the crews that whenever there is nothing to report do not answer, specifically in the case of Management fields and Conflicts if there is no conflict just skip the field, is this right?? how does the model treats empty fields?? This is important because where there is basically no management, for example in trees in Vacant plots they basically skip this whole section there is nothing to say. I also have 3 additional fields but in the options I did not include an option for NOTHING or O similar to the case of Sidewalk conflict where the options you suggest is a size of roots but there is no option for NO conflict, so I assume a No answer is No conflict. Is this assumption right¿?
Thanks
Horacio de la Concha
AGRINET SA de CV
Cuernavaca MEXICO
hdelaconcha@agrinet.com.mx
Jason.Henning
i-Tree Team

Re: empty data

Post by Jason.Henning » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:04 am

For these variables, which are not required, the model will only provide summaries of the trees for which you provide data. For example your sidewalk conflict report will provide an estimate of the number of trees in your population within each category of conflict. However, it will not provide an estimate of the number of trees with no conflict. In general most users choose to assess trees as you did, not entering any data for trees with no maintenance needs. This generally simplifies data entry and collects the data that is most of interest.

Note: Some variables like species, condition, and dbh are required and you are not permitted to leave those field blank. The software will not permit you to leave these required fields blank.
A member of the i-Tree Team