More species

Have you used i-Tree components for your own project? This is the place to tell others about your experiences—and to link to online results, images, reports, and publicity. Relevant topics include project area, challenges, organization, methods, and effects.

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

hdelaconcha

More species

Post by hdelaconcha » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:57 pm

Finally I am about to start gathering data for the Merida project and we have narrowed down the list of possible species down. However there are 3 species that are not in the i-tree list, how and they be loaded?? Do you need some info on the species to uploaded into the list? and if it is not possible will it affect much my results if I use a "cousin" of it??

thnaks
Horacio de la Concha
AGRINET SA de CV
Cuernavaca MEXICO
hdelaconcha@agrinet.com.mx
Jason.Henning
i-Tree Team

Re: More species

Post by Jason.Henning » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:08 pm

We are working on developing a streamlined process for users to submit new species to be permanently added to our species database. Currently this capacity is not available and any species additions must go through the US Forest Service.
Many of the i-Tree benefit models use the leaf surface area of your trees. As long as you select "cousin" species that are comparable in leaf surface area relative to crown volume and exhibit similar growth rates in your area, your estimates should be accurate. Many of the i-Tree models operate at the genus level when there is not great diversity among species. Selecting a general genus group or a comparable species from the same genus should ensure that your results are as accurate as possible.

Thanks,
Jason
A member of the i-Tree Team