Eco or Street

Have you used i-Tree components for your own project? This is the place to tell others about your experiences—and to link to online results, images, reports, and publicity. Relevant topics include project area, challenges, organization, methods, and effects.

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

hdelaconcha

Eco or Street

Post by hdelaconcha » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:49 pm

In the process of implementing and planning for the data gathering a question came up with the issue of plots inside houses. If you see how Merida is built, the old town has inside gardens, pretty big sometime with a lot of trees, that need to be accounted for. However this may be a problem so I was considering doing the inventory with i-tree Stree instead, what are the Pro and Cons?
thanks
Horacio de la Concha
AGRINET SA de CV
Cuernavaca MEXICO
hdelaconcha@agrinet.com.mx
Jason.Henning
i-Tree Team

Re: Eco or Street

Post by Jason.Henning » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:09 am

i-Tree Streets is a very different model from i-Tree Eco and it is generally not recommended for use outside of the US. Please see this forum post that further discusses using i-Tree Streets outside the US, viewtopic.php?f=20&t=43&hilit=international#p44.

In the US we often have similar issues in measuring trees on private property. Obtaining permission to access those plots can be one of the more time consuming aspects of completing an i-Tree Eco project. However, if you do not measure those areas they will not be accounted for in your results. See the "i-Tree Eco Project Planning and Management Resources" section of our archives (http://www.itreetools.org/resources/archives.php for information about how others have dealt with this challenge.

You can definitely limit your i-Tree Eco study and only use plots that are publicly accessible. If you do this you still want to make sure that you measure an appropriate number of plots to achieve your desired level of accuracy. Alternatively, you could use i-Tree Eco to do a complete inventory (rather than a plot based sample) in a portion of your city or for only public trees. That approach may help you to estimate some of the ecosystem service that some of your city's trees are providing.

-Jason
A member of the i-Tree Team