Getting Started

Have you used i-Tree components for your own project? This is the place to tell others about your experiences—and to link to online results, images, reports, and publicity. Relevant topics include project area, challenges, organization, methods, and effects.

Moderators: i-Tree Support, i-Tree Team

hdelaconcha

Getting Started

Post by hdelaconcha » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:23 am

I can see in the Location Tab, in the STATE field, that there is already loaded Baja California, Colima, Mexico and Sonora. How is that?? how can I get Yucatan loaded there?? Do this means that there were projects subjected from this states, and you already have the info??
Also another practical question, I already used the google option to define my plots randomly in my project, but where do I get to see the coordinates?? when I send the plot info to the mobile devices, is there a way to see them somehow?? please let me know.

So far I am translating some material that I will need for the crews I will use to gather data but at times I go back to check on the program functions and examples.

THanks
Horacio de la Concha
AGRINET SA de CV
Cuernavaca MEXICO
hdelaconcha@agrinet.com.mx
Jason.Henning
i-Tree Team

Re: Getting Started

Post by Jason.Henning » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:16 pm

You can see your generated plot locations in three different places but first you must verify that you have activated GPS coordinates when defining your project. To do this open your project in i-Tree Eco then click on "Project Definition" on the "Project Configuration tab". In the dialog that opens click on the "Data Collection Options" tab and verify that under "Plot Information" the "GPS coordinates" option is selected. If it is not selected you can select that checkbox now. Then press "OK" to save this configuration.

Once you have done that you can view your coordinates by one of these methods:
1. Under the "Data" tab click on "Plots" and you should be able to view your latitude and longitude coordinates. You can then click on the "CSV" button to export those data to a file that can be opened in spread sheet software.
2. Under the "Data" tab click on "Plots" and you should be able to view your latitude and longitude coordinates. You can then click on the "KML" button to export those data to a file that can be opened in Google Earth, Google Maps, or GIS software allowing you to view your plot locations as a map.
3. Once the GPS option is turned on in the "Data Collection Options" dialog you should be able to see your plot coordinates on your mobile device. However, you will have to first "Submit to mobile" again from within the i-Tree Eco software to update the web form with this new information. Then when you open the link on your mobile device you will have to click on the gear wheel in the upper left and select "Reload project" to retrieve the updated information. Be sure to submit any collected data before reloading because any unsubmitted data will be erased from your device. If you have any trouble with these steps please get in touch with us directly by email at info@itreetools.org.

As for the Mexican states available I believe these were added as a preliminary proof on concept and we don't have any of the necessary underlying data to support automated processing for those states. You will get the same results with whichever state you select.

We are seeing increased interest in developing a Mexico specific version of i-Tree Eco but this is only in the very early stages of discussion. If you do translate any of our materials please let us know. Also, it may be possible that we could share some of the original documents so that you can edit them directly. Contact us at info@itreetools.org if you would like to explore that option. If we can capture any of your efforts along these lines it would be very helpful as we continue to explore the potential of i-Tree in Mexico and your work may lay some of the groundwork as we move forward.

Thanks as always for your questions and interest,
Jason
A member of the i-Tree Team